Microsoft extends updates for Windows XP security products until July 14, 2015

No doubt, technet will get a reprieve and be extended. Ok, not necessity a bad thing. But ffs.

LOL!!! I've been following that MacroSh@ft business decision since it was announced. That's one coffin that has been sealed and buried. On the other hand you could say that XP may find a spot in The Walking Dead Season 4 and may even last until Season 5.

Just how many times has this date been changed. I've already told a number of customers that support is due to be dropped within the next few months. I told them, that as time went on, the number of security holes and exploits would increase making their systems more vulnerable to attack.

NOW, they will probably get back to me, saying I was scaremongering.

Just how bad is Microsoft management getting these days ?

No doubt, technet will get a reprieve and be extended. Ok, not necessity a bad thing. But ffs.

It's just updates for Microsoft Security Essentials that got extended past the EOL date for Windows XP. As if it weren't bad enough that Microsoft themselves admit that MSE has fallen as an effective security solution, this kind of announcement will lead to confusion and false conceptions that it will be safe to use XP past the EOL date. In other words, just because they are going to continue updating their poorly performing security product does not mean that it will be safe to use XP. XP isn't going to receive updates any longer then initially planed.

Isn't this only referring to MSE? I did not think OS patches were included or am I not understanding it properly?

That is what I gather

The best thing to do is download all the updates on WSUS and make several backup copies. I'd also set up a WIM deployment station. Simply make a XP/XP PRO SP3 image will all updates done and then do a generalize / OOBE sysprep followed by an image capture. If your going to support a lot of XP stations then I don't see how you can do it any other way.

Of course nobody can predict the future, but it was 5 years after Win98 EOL that they pulled updates for Win98

Back