Mic problem

Fred Claus

Reaction score
Does anyone here work on Mobile phones? I have a Moto G phone that my wife uses. For some reason today she's had an issue. If she's making a call and uses her speaker phone, the mic doesn't work. If she turns off the speaker, the mic works but she has to hold the phone up to her ear. Has anyone see this issue before?

Does anyone here work on Mobile phones? I have a Moto G phone that my wife uses. For some reason today she's had an issue. If she's making a call and uses her speaker phone, the mic doesn't work. If she turns off the speaker, the mic works but she has to hold the phone up to her ear. Has anyone see this issue before?
Full backup and factory restore?

Last edited:
Not sure if this applies to the Moto G, but many phones use different mics for Speaker vs regular use.

So your issue might be down to a specific mic. Also, when you say "turn off speaker" does that refer to turning off speaker mode and using regularly?

So, if I'm correct, your wife can use the phone in normal mode but if she uses speaker phone the other party can't hear her.

To test this, try using Google Assistant. This should use the same mic as Speakerphone. If Google Assistant can't hear you, then it's likely a physical mic issue.

Yes, that's what I mean. You either hold the phone to your ear and listen through the ear piece or you put it on speaker phone and listen to through the speaker. When it's on speaker mode, the mic doesn't work. When it on ear piece mode the mic does. I will test it with Google Assistant and see. thanks.

Update: Tried the Google Assistant and it worked just fine.

Last edited:
Most Moto devices have 2 separate mics. The only issue at hand is whether its a daughter board replacement for the loudspeaker mic or if its a soldered on mic. Newer Motos are daughter board replacements easily found on ebay or amazon. Older devices do require microsoldering.

Full backup and factory restore?
This. I'd factory reset the phone first and not restore anything. Just get it running enough to test the phone. If it works then reset it again and do the full restore. If it stops working after that then you know if it's a software problem.

by any chance did she get a new case?

Look up the mic locations online and make sure that nothing is physically blocking it like a case, dirt/built up grime, or maybe her finger.

If all that checks out it’s possible the mic went bad, I’ve seen it on iPhones before.

Another thing I’ve had a girl come to me (when I worked at the mobile repair kiosk in the local mall). She had her screen repaired at another shop, but now her mic doesnt work but she didn’t trust them to go back and have it fixed. So I looked at it and whoever did it must have cut a cable so they replaced the assembly with the speaker mic, the problem was they never removed the little plastic piece that is used to protect the mic in transit so it was essentially plugged. Removed it he plastic piece and all was good, back to normal.

Back