Malwarebytes Windows Defender Exclusions

Malwarebytes Windows Defender Exclusions

Porthos

Reaction score
Porthos submitted a new resource:

Malwarebytes Windows Defender Exclusions - Malwarebytes Windows Defender Exclusions

Add to Malwarebytes Exclusions the following folders.

C:\Program Files\Windows Defender
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Defender
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender (Enable hidden files to add this one.)

For Win 10 PRO only also add these Folders.
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (Enable hidden files to add this one.)

For Windows Defender...

Read more about this resource...

Great to know. Have you ever used the Malwarebytes Toolset?
Yes, I am using it now. It is expensive but nice if you can justify the cost in your business. At the point I am in with my business I don't think I can afford to renew when mine expires.

Reasons
1- I have only seen 3 infected computers since the release of Win 10.
2- Most of the time when things go "wrong" you end up reinstalling Win 10. ( I am 100% a Win 10 shop)
3- For everything else, I find that UVK and Windows repair tool is all I need.

I still sell Malwarebytes to 95% of my clients but all of my old existing clients already have lifetime licences.
The majority of work I see now is HD, screen, and keyboard replacments. I do sell some refurbished to computers as well.
Unfourtantly for me my clients have very few problems with Win 10 other than user errors.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering...did you notice any drop in business when you went to be a 100% Win 10 shop. I ask because I'm in the process of starting my own shop and any advice you might have for someone getting into the business would be grateful, especially when it come to setting service fees. I have thought about doing onsite work with my shop as my base. I to am currently using the Malwarebytes Toolset too and have recently purchased the Technibble Computer Business Kit to help with my paperwork. I have Quickbooks Online Account but find their invoices don't really meet my needs.

did you notice any drop in business when you went to be a 100% Win 10 shop.
No, The lack of business is because many do not use laptops or desktops as much as they used to. Phones and tablets are causing many to not turn on the computers as much as they used to. Cant mess them up if you dont use them often.
I am also a one man home based business now after having a shop for 15 years. I am residental break/fix only.

I am worried your 2 road town can support your business. :(

did you notice any drop in business when you went to be a 100% Win 10 shop.
This topic has been discussed in various forms before. If you search the forums you'll find plenty of threads about it.
There are many factors involved, not just Windows 10.

IMPE, virus/malware removal was 85% of my business. Since Windows 10 came out and coupled with the fact that:

a. More and more people are converting from Win7/8.1 to Windows 10

b. I've been selling Emsisoft Antimalware

c. As @Porthos stated above clients are more and more turning to phones/tablets and not using laptops/desktops

d. Browsers have become much safer and "security hardened" (like Opera with it's built in VPN, ad blockers and customisable lists) as well as more people using addons like uBlock Origin, uBlock Matrix, AdGuard, etc.

e. Selling new laptops/desktops is getting harder and harder. I used to sell about 3~6 new laptops and around 5 desktop PC's a month.
I would be lucky now to sell maybe 5 new laptops per year and (I have a small gaming community) to sell 2~3 desktops per year!

Virus/malware removal is virtually non existent now.

Business is down right across the board for me. I support residential break/fix as well as SMB/SoHo.

The break/fix model is dying fast - that's part of the reason why I have moved to RMM which is keeping me going to a large degree.
(Outsourced) phone/tablet/laptop screen repairs are still lucrative for me.

Remote support is at least 50% of my business now.

The good ol'e days of 1995-2000 and the 2005~2012 "money maker" years which peaked in 2007-2009 are long gone!
My. 02

Last edited:
Thanks for the great insight Barcelona. I have had more phone and tablet repairs than I have computers so far. I feel like I might have started a different business had I found this forum sooner, but I've invested too much to give up now. I will simply have to learn to adapt until I can find my niche.

Reactions: GTP
Back