Learning?

@phaZed ARM native was released two years ago for Mac, and is generally available now for Windows on ARM.

Check the article you linked again, look at the screen shots, that's ARM64, not AMD64! The emulation layer is only used for the plugin support as far as I know.
That screenshot shows Windows (The ARM version) running ARM programs.. it doesn't show x64 Windows running ARM! Previously they had to run x64 offices apps emulated, for ARM platforms... now they have it compiled for both.

That screenshot shows Windows (The ARM version) running ARM programs.. it doesn't show x64 Windows running ARM! Previously they had to run x64 offices apps emulated, for ARM platforms... now they have it compiled for both.
Ahh I see, yeah it seems I misread something somewhere.

Long term though, ARM is where this is all heading. MAC started it, Intel is going whole hog into their core segmentation. Take a peek at the 12th gen's new "high efficiency cores". It won't be long before there are ARM cores too, Microsoft is getting ready for all that in Win11.

MAC/Apple did not start it. IBM started it with their IBM 801 in 1980. Or Sun UltraSPARC servers, or IBM PowerPC chips. I would argue that the cell phone industry "started it" to a degree that brought it to everyone's hands... and I'm talking predating the iPhone.

We'll see if it is all going to ARM. While ARM is popular right now, it's generally a lesser performing package with lower power requirements, while x86/x64 is the higher performing and higher wattage. For a desktop/workstation, x64 is still king in most respects - and seeing, as you pointed out, that Intel and AMD are working on big.LITTLE designs for themselves, the x64 architecture could easily compete on the "power" side of things (at least I predict that could be an outcome) if they can get it to market and compete, etc.

The 1996 movie, Mission Impossible references a "686 prototype with the artificial intelligence risc chip" - https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/97eb193f-4bc2-481a-ae17-ae24cff48a32

Point being, ARM RISC isn't anything new and it's been a long road for ARM to bring "competitive" to the consumer computing market... only realizing it's "limited" successes so far due to mobile devices and power efficiency requirements... and there is nothing wrong with that.

People often fail to realize that ARM RISC is "Reduced Instruction Set" - which is not necessarily desired, nor performance focused when compared to CISC - "Complex Instruction Set".

The other main negative for RISC is that it can only execute one instruction per clock, whereas CISC can execute many instructions per clock - and many times that's where CISC wins over in the performance department.

So, it'll be interesting to see what happens with ARM overall, however, I think this could play out in a way in where ARM forces Intel/AMD x86/x64 processors to compete on the power requirements areas... and if they do, well, "goodbye" ARM. If they don't, we very well may see the shift you speak about.

It's all very "up in the air" right now.

It's all very "up in the air" right now.

To me, it's absolutely not "up in the air" in any meaningful sense, and for the very reasons you documented so well.

All of these technologies have long ago reached maturity and the market has been given way more than ample opportunity to "pick its winners" and/or "change course." It has done the former, and it has not done the latter.

The amount of inertia that would need to be overcome to dislodge the current paradigm is so huge as to be virtually insurmountable in any foreseeable term.

What we've got is what we'll have, in its overall basic shape, for many, many years to come.

To be clear, I'm not predicting some tectonic shift. I simply expect Intel to be producing CPUs that have their current tech + ARM cores.

And Microsoft apparently does too, given the dev chatter on Windows 11 and what they're doing with TPM + HyperV within it. They're really trying to make the PC as we know it into the ultimate multitasker, capable of taking on any workload, based on any instruction set.

For my part I'll just be happy to be able to properly run Android on my PC on top of Windows, it's essential for testing and training! But I'm not expecting my desktop to go away, I'm expecting it to get even more versatile than it is currently. The K8S applications in this space are staggering to consider... makes my head hurt just thinking about it!

The only thing really up in the air is when all this happens. Open ecosystems move slowly after all.

I have the Linux Family Tree (up to 2019) on my wall. It stands about 2 meters high and cost $150 to get it printed but it was worth it.
Fascinating to see where Linux came from and all the derivations of the various branches.

I'd love to have this printed as a poster but I fear the cost would be excessive and I wouldnt have a wall tall enough.

Anyone here actively supporting Linux for customers? I have Mint on my machine but it appears the only courses I could find on LinkedIn Learning are about being a system Admin and they use Red Hat.
I've got a few clients I've switched over to Mint. About the only thing I ever need to do is run their updates. 90% of what they do is online. Once I install Chrome and stick it on their taskbar there are very few problems.. Occasionally I have needed a bash script for printer install which I find online.

I have a Sony Vaio I run Mint on. That's the worst I've run across for Mint. After sleep mode the keyboard doesn't work. It's dual booted and Windows seems to want to boot regardless.

Rick

I'd like to recommend you to take RHCSA, RHCE pathways from indeed by Grant McWilliams for RHEL based distros (Fedora Linux, Oracle Linux, Rocky Linux) I really enjoy watching his videos and learn a lot. He explains very clear. also There's another Red Hat trainer Sander Van Vugt his classes are good.

Back