iPhone 4 Repair *expert needed*

xxsilk109xx

Reaction score
This is not for a customer, rather myself. I dropped my iphone the other night and have cracked the front glass.
The LCD works and the phone generally works, even the touch is the same, however the speakers do not work and the screen is cracked.

I want to replace this stuff without having to buy another phone. Can someone advise me on anything I might need to know before I jump into this and start buying parts? thx

Have you tried looking at ifixit.com I am no expert, but I used this site to fix my iphone 3gs. And you may be able to order the parts from them.

Well I have an idea of what I need to do, I see the tutorial there on how to remove everything. I am more curious about the speaker not working....

Wondering if its the speaker or some connection. I guess I am going to just have to get the tools and take it apart to see.

That is basically what I did. Never had the speaker issue. Maybe it is just a connection or something simply like that. Let me how it goes.

Most likely you jar'd the iphone so bad it knocked the speaker cable off. Should go right back in when you reassemble the phone.

As far as the screen, you'll have to replace the entire LCD/digitizer/top glass. Apple decided to fuse these all together in the iPhone4 to keep dust out from between the glass and the LCD.

$50 on ebay. Sucks, the 3G/3GS models you only need to replace the digitizer/glass, which is $5. Good business to be in either way since Apple has no insurance. Hope this helps :)

It's totally worth doing. Just take your time, and find some YouTube videos. They give some added insight when the static photos at ifixit leave you with questions. If you've brought your iPhone 4 to an Apple store at any point make sure they didn't change the Phillips screws to pentalobe screws. They were doing that a while back. No biggie ifixit also sells pentalobe screwdrivers.

The teardowns at iFixit are pretty good. Some iPhone parts vendors also provide links to YouTube videos where they demonstrate the teardown.

Back