Internet explorer will not load --- XP

johnrobert

Reaction score
I was called to fix a missing inbox, outlook express the inbox .dbx file was 1.99 gigs Easy diagnostic
And does not appear in OE
I am using oe advanced repair it is going slow 1% after an hour. I think it will work

Internet explorer will not load.
IE does work in safe mode and I reset it to default, I was running ccleaner but it was taking too long on site had to move on, there were other things to fix MS office
MBAM found lots
Another weird thing I made a folder c:\backup and backed up email, when I rebooted it had disappeared.
I made a new backup folder and same thing happened again after reboot, suspect rootkit
I made a third folder with a different name and it stayed
Also owner said sometimes when rebooting it asks for motherboard CD and has to copy a file it’s an ASUS motherboard, never came accross this before.

At this stage I am more concerned about getting IE working.

Last edited:
I uninstalled office xp and re-installed this time choosing run all from my computer it still asks for office CD after reboot when I try to open outlook XP
I am thinking a profile problem?
I am also thinking n&p

Seem to remeber a IE repair tool the name escapes me?

Last edited:
I uninstalled office xp and re-installed this time choosing run all from my computer it still asks for office CD after reboot when I try to open outlook XP
I am thinking a profile problem?
I am also thinking n&p

Office xp has many known issues. First, uninstall office. Then download windows install clean up utility. With the utility, remove anything office related. Then reinstall office. BAM! Office works.

As for IE and the rest of the issues, yeah... all things considered, n&p would probably resolve everything a lot faster

Thanks
Now I have had time to think about it. The CD motherboard issue is probably CMOS battery the computer is 7 years old
When I go back today I will create a new user see if IE works
this will give some idea how bad it is

Many thanks all fixed
I put a new battery in and that solved the problem
I was also able to recover outlook express 2 gig inbox it took 18 hours to scan
converted it to a .pst file
when I tried IE it worked I upgraded to sp3 from sp1 and ie8
installed Avast and goood to go. I spent 6-7 hours so the bill will be $250
He is lucky to get his email back I ran Remo OE repair tool also, it did the scan faster but did not work good

I spoke too soon I just turned it on and it said doing bios flash recovery loading
file p4p800 rom

Thats the mother board Asus p4p800
I think the motherboard is bad
it would have been cheaper to but a new desktop for $400 like spending a $100 to fix a Timex watch

Last edited:
Back