Inspiron 531S Vista Hm Basic Install Keeps Shutting Desktop Down

stevieb

Reaction score
I've been trying to install Vista on this Dell desktop to no avail. It keeps shutting down instantly at different stages. I went into diagnostics and ran an express test and all came back good. Before I try some more troubleshooting tomorrow, was just wondering if anyone had encountered anything similar. Sometimes I get various bsod, but mostly just shuts down instantly. The computer came in with a bad power supply and cmos battery. Checked the motherboard and don't see any physical damage. Replaced the dead parts and now trying to do a clean install. The power supply was a new one off ebay, but you never know what kind of quality you might get. I've tried in install off of CD and USB. Unit only has 2gb installed.

What I'm trying tomorrow:
-Run Extended Test in BIOS
-Use another power supply
-look to see if there is updated version of this vista install?

Could be bad ram, but hard to tell if you don't swap it out, even if it tests good.

Sounds like this unit has discrete graphics, so perhaps a problem with the GPU, even though it's AMD and not Nvidia. Eyeball it closely for fat caps as well, all were problems in that era.

Think I may have found the problem. I unplugged the optical drive (which was the only other thing plugged in besides hard drive) and the install worked perfectly and has been working ever since. My first time having the optical cause this kind of failure.

Back