[REQUEST] HP Pavilion laptop : "b" opens Internet browser

bertie40

Reaction score
HP Pavilion (doesn't say which model)

Ok, this one is weird.

Pressing the letter "b" on the keyboard does not print a "b" on the screen, but opens an Internet browser to Bing.

Obviously the key has been remapped.

Messed around with it for hours.
So,....Long story short.

Nuked the machine, inc the partitions (inc recovery partition as it was shott ).

Blank drive.

Fresh copy of win 10 (Adversity ed)

Fresh desktop.

"b" still opens Bing

Note.
1. This only misbehaves when online.
2. "B" (capital B) works ok.

Also, this machine belongs to a couple running a Bed & Breakfast (b&b).

Seriously.

Any ideas ?

Methinks a bios check and maybe upgrade ?

Rootkit? How did you wipe the partition table: delete the partition table or zero the MBR? (UEFI or BIOS? MBR or GPT?)

Any different with an external keyboard?

HP Pavilion (doesn't say which model)
:confused: Who/what doesn't? Model, age and original OS would be useful.

It has to say which model somewhere. Should be on a sticker on the back of the unit. It also should say in the bios. Belarc advisor should also report this.

Yeah : re the ID. [emoji3]
Nowt on the bottom.
Nada,...... Which in itself is weird.

Just pavilion on the screen bottom RHS.

I'll dig out Belarc to find the true identity.

External keyboard works, no problem.

Rootkit looking more likely, or some past owner being "clever".

There is some proprietary HP security settings within bios which are engaged. I'll try resetting it.

I believe it came with win 10.
Just over 12 months old.

Doing this as a freebie too [emoji15] as they are taking my managed services, and they "know people" who would make good customers. [emoji6]

It's just MS taking the next step with Windows 10. After all, no one really needs to use a keyboard anymore. Everything should be done through Cortana, touchscreens and voice transcription.

Soon the m key will launch msn. X will be xbox live. O will take you to outlook.com. And every other key from A-Z will reset your default browser to Edge, reset your default PDF reader to Edge, reset your default media player to Edge, reset your default photo viewer to Edge, and slap your hand for touching the keyboard.

Mark my words.

It's just MS taking the next step with Windows 10. After all, no one really needs to use a keyboard anymore. Everything should be done through Cortana, touchscreens and voice transcription.

Soon the m key will launch msn. X will be xbox live. O will take you to outlook.com. And every other key from A-Z will reset your default browser to Edge, reset your default PDF reader to Edge, reset your default media player to Edge, reset your default photo viewer to Edge, and slap your hand for touching the keyboard.

Mark my words.

The end is near...

Soon the m key will launch msn. X will be xbox live. O will take you to outlook.com. And every other key from A-Z will reset your default browser to Edge, reset your default PDF reader to Edge, reset your default media player to Edge, reset your default photo viewer to Edge, and slap your hand for touching the ke
Hahaha! Love it! You are clever!

Safe mode. Same thing.

I killed the job here. The fault is obviously hardware related.

The keyboard is clean

A nuke and pave plus numerous scan showed nothing.

Performed a bios reflash.

If anything, it's a bit worse.

A notice on the HP website also says this model has battery overheating/blowing up ! Issues.

So..... Dead.

I'm writing up a tech report detailing my actions so the customer can get back to HP.

Hay Ho.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate your time. [emoji106]

"b" still opens Bing

Also, this machine belongs to a couple running a Bed & Breakfast (b&b).

Seriously.

If it weren't just a time-sink, this would be hysterical. You have obviously angered the computer gods this week. It's probably gonna take a ritual sacrifice. Do you have an altar and a firepit?

Back