Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Dell

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters

ATSCF

Reaction score
Whats your preference on server hardware? I always go with HP because Dell has left a bad taste in my mouth with their hardware and support.

I use Dell. I have had very few issues with Dell server hardware. With the exception of HDD failing after 6+ years. When you purchase a Dell server and get Enterprise Support, they are MUCH better than the average Dell support. You get someone you can understand (usually), is knowledgeable, and if you need parts they are there that day or the day after.

Dell servers were here when I got here so I guess they don't have enterprise cause support sucks. I am usually on the phone with HP for 5 minutes and they get someone out here or send a part in 4 hours.

both Dell & HP servers are horrible, usually lacking features & poorly configured, one of my client installed 5 HP blade servers it took HPs Techs 2 days to get them installed and then 2 months to get configured as stated in the service agreement and they still dont work correctly.

another small business client had a basic dell server that was setup in a dynamic mirror raid and was backing up all its data to a second partition so when both hard drives failed he had no backup.

I've like Lenovo for large clients, enterprise corporate & government
and Supermicro for small business.

+1 for Supermicro. Really happy with my system.

However, I know a few people who have been happy with their Dell's as well. *shrug*

I would definitely stay away from ever building your own server (if you were ever getting that idea). I like things that are UL certified and thoroughly tested, and that's a big risk to take on your own with a high-availability item like a server.

both Dell & HP servers are horrible, usually lacking features & poorly configured, one of my client installed 5 HP blade servers it took HPs Techs 2 days to get them installed and then 2 months to get configured as stated in the service agreement and they still dont work correctly.

another small business client had a basic dell server that was setup in a dynamic mirror raid and was backing up all its data to a second partition so when both hard drives failed he had no backup.

I've like Lenovo for large clients, enterprise corporate & government
and Supermicro for small business.

Not a good idea, IMHO, to keep backups only on disk. Always a good idea to keep external backup of some kind for this reason. HDD's can last years or a few months, you just never know.

+1 for Supermicro. Really happy with my system.

However, I know a few people who have been happy with their Dell's as well. *shrug*

I would definitely stay away from ever building your own server (if you were ever getting that idea). I like things that are UL certified and thoroughly tested, and that's a big risk to take on your own with a high-availability item like a server.

We actually have 4 Supermicro servers. We purchased each one individually at a good price, and in 4 years we have not had a problem with one of them *knock on wood*.

I would recommend them as well.

Not a good idea, IMHO, to keep backups only on disk. Always a good idea to keep external backup of some kind for this reason. HDD's can last years or a few months, you just never know.

just for the record I wasnt the one that set it up like that dell shipped the system to him with it setup in a dynamic mirror array with 2 partitions and Dells onsite tech was the one that configured that backup to the second partition.

after I worked on it I setup the system to a true mirror parition and had data backing up online using mozy pro and to an external hard drive

Back