HP 15 Keeps "forgetting" Intel VMD storage driver - 4 Windows 10 Clean Installs

ClickRight

Reaction score
Working with an HP 15-dy2013ca (12C29UA#ABL). All hardware passes (memtest, OCCT when we had it booted up, drive is good, etc.) We have installed Windows 10 using both HP provided intel drivers for the Intel VMD storage controller, as well as the latest drivers from Intel. There are two options for the driver, but we used 09AB as per Intel's documentation.

Each time we're able to Install Windows 10 (Tried with both 21H1 and 21H2) no problem. The system works for a few hours / reboots, until some update comes in (we tried disabling hardware updates, to no avail) Then, the system will get stuck in a startup repair loop. None of the options work (Uninstall updates, system restore, etc. as it cannot see the OS drive.)

The BIOS is crippled and there is no option to disable VMD. I cannot think of anything short of installing, then immediately disabling all Windows updates, but we all know that's only a temporary fix. My tech and I are beside ourselves with how much time weh've already exausted on this system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean crippled? Can't make any changes? Can you reflash the bios? Did you try a W10 UEFI installer?
Granted the below references Intel server motherboards but maybe it might help.
Crippled as in very few settings, none that pertain to the drive or VMD. I tried several W10 UEFI installers. That link is exactly what I wish to do, thank-you, but without the option in the BIOS, perhaps this system is simply a paperweight. I might give Windows 11 a go tomorrow if time permits.

Back