How to uninstall bad software causing BSOD.

techyguy717

Reaction score
Determined last program installed caused Windows Vista 64-bit from starting.
What is the best way to remove an offending piece of software when Windows won't start?

Would this be a job for Bart PE? I have not used that Boot Disk in 2 years. Would I need an add on?

Why not boot into recovery or from a PE and do an offline system restore to a restore point prior to the offending software.

Why not boot into recovery or from a PE and do an offline system restore to a restore point prior to the offending software.

That was the first thing I tried after a hardware DIAG. No Restore points. Also tried "bootrec /commands", chkdsk, etc, multiple ways of booting, etc. Please advise, as I have not needed to do this for quite some time.

May I suggest........

Do an image first, so you can go back to it if it gets worse and start over.

Are you sure all the hardware has no issues.....(hard drive maybe)?

How about using a Vista repair disk?

Does the following help.....

http://community.spiceworks.com/how...restore-manually-when-windows-is-not-bootable

Harold

- FULL Hardware DIAG was done.
- BSOD points to software issue. Customer verifies he installed much software and computer would not boot after.
- Thank you for that link. Considering that even Windows XP, Vista and 7 has C:\System Volume Information, I will try this method.

- FULL Hardware DIAG was done.
- BSOD points to software issue. Customer verifies he installed much software and computer would not boot after.
- Thank you for that link. Considering that even Windows XP, Vista and 7 has C:\System Volume Information, I will try this method.

I noticed that you didn't mention that you got a full drive backup. If the software installed to a bad sector, it have the same effect.

Can you share what you used for the hardware diagnostics and how long it took to test the hard drive?

I would just use something like hirens that has a registry editor etc.

You should post the bsod details and the exact time that it happens. For example system blue screens right after you type the password after selecting the user or system blue screens right after the windows logo shows up on boot or system blue screens 3 seconds after the windows logo shows up. etc.

If it's a software driver that's causing the BSOD, and if you know the offending driver, why not boot into linux and rename the driver (driver.sys) to driver.bak or something so it won't automatically load?

Hirens CD worked great. Much easier than making another BART CD.

I followed the Spiceworks link to find the last restore from 7 months ago and manually restore.
That Spiceworks link has 1 issue. All of the backup registry is found in "C:\Windows\System32\Config". "C:\System Volume Information" is not needed.

Hirens CD worked great. Much easier than making another BART CD.

I followed the Spiceworks link to find the last restore from 7 months ago and manually restore.
That Spiceworks link has 1 issue. All of the backup registry is found in "C:\Windows\System32\Config". "C:\System Volume Information" is not needed.

Glad you got it worked out.

Harold

Back