[SOLVED] How to restore dual boot

ell

Reaction score
I over wrote my windows 10 partition with a new creators update tib image in my dual boot ubuntu/windows10 system and now I can't get the dual boot option back. The ubuntu partition is still intact with the swap file partition. I'm a novice with ubuntu can't seem to get it figured out, googled my head off, tried easybcd too but fail. Anybody?

I tried rescatux on usb and it worked to get me into ubuntu, so I knew it was fine, but couldn't figure out how to get in without the usb. Did more googling and found a linux app "Boot-Repair" I used rufus and installed the iso to usb, booted from it and bam, worked.

Having got into Ubuntu, simply updating grub should have been enough.

Or a quick Google will bring up the Ubuntu community help topic.
Wasn't until I used rescatux that I could even get into ubuntu, booting from a live cd didn't work, the commands did nothing. I'm sure it was operator error, I such a novice with linux.

I'm sure it was operator error, I such a novice with linux.
You're right :)
Windows kills the bootloader Linux installed when Windows is installed or feature-upgraded after you installed linux and wrote the bootsector. There are not only one way to get grub reinstalled in the boot sector. The short way:
boot from a live cd
open a console
become root
Code:
mkdir /tmp/mnt
mount /dev/sdx /tmp/mnt #(sdx is the partition your ubuntu is installed to)
chroot /tmp/mnt /bin/bash
update-grub
exit #(as often as needed to close the console window)
reboot the machine

Reactions: GTP
You're right :)
Windows kills the bootloader Linux installed when Windows is installed or feature-upgraded after you installed linux and wrote the bootsector. There are not only one way to get grub reinstalled in the boot sector. The short way:
boot from a live cd
open a console
become root
Code:
mkdir /tmp/mnt
mount /dev/sdx /tmp/mnt #(sdx is the partition your ubuntu is installed to)
chroot /tmp/mnt /bin/bash
update-grub
exit #(as often as needed to close the console window)
reboot the machine
I was doing something wrong. I know its not that tough, but every command I ran, like
sudo grub-install /dev/xxx from ubuntu live cd said command was not found.

re-read my post carefully, please. And let us participate in what you exactly did from the beginning to the moment where you began to struggle.
I have no idea now, I was multitasking between it and a troublesome mac. Thanks though, I don't plan on updating my dual boot bench pc again for quite a while.

Back