[TIP] How to Block Windows 7 End of Support Messages

Porthos

Reaction score
How to Block Windows 7 End of Support Messages

KB4493132 is a Windows 7 Update with one job - to notify you that support ends in January 2020. If you'd like not to be repeatedly warned about the end of support, you can block this update.

First, we need to see if this update is installed or pending.

Go to Start, Control Panel, System and Security, Windows Updates, View update history.

Find KB4493132.

If KB4493132 is not showing up, check for Updates.

If KB4493132 is downloaded and pending, right-click and choose Hide update.

1198_how to block windows 7 end of support messages.jpg

If KB4493132 is installed, right-click and select Uninstall. You'll need to check for updates again and when KB4493132 shows up as a pending update, right-click and choose Hide Update.

If the update is already installed, and for whatever reason you don't want to uninstall it, but you don't want to be nagged, check the box in the lower left hand corner "Do not remind me again". Glad to see Microsoft learned a lesson after the Windows 10 upgrade notification/nag.

ximg_5c93e5e8bc69b.png.pagespeed.gp+jp+jw+pj+ws+js+rj+rp+rw+ri+cp+md.ic.o8ypuXa6jq.png

Reminds me more of the nagging message to upgrade to Windows 10 remember how annoyed people got by that?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I supplement the Microsoft nags with a reminder in my monthly newsletter and a little chat with any client I come across still running Windows 7. So I guess I am a nag too - good thing there's no little check box to turn me off!

Back