How to ask Good Questions For Faster Tech Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryce W

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before Asking:
Google is your friend - Try searching for your problem on Google first, chances are someone has encountered it before and mentioned a fix.

Post it in the Right Forum - If you have a potential virus, adware or spyware issue then you should post in our "Security, Viruses and Trojans" forum. If you have a hardware issue, it would go in our "Hardware" forum.
If you have no idea whether your issue is software, hardware, Microsoft or virus based, then our "General Computer Help" forum would be best.

Choosing a Good Title:
Having a good title for your question/thread is one of the main driving forces for others wanting to read your item. A badly formatted title will drive others away because they think if the title is written badly, the question probably the same. For Example:

"HAVNG A PROBELM, NEED HELP N OW!!"

is an example of a badly written title. People wont waste time trying to help people that don't seem to be able to help themselves.

A GOOD title is a short and informative one like this:

"Windows XP Error, Getting Error 0x0000008 on System Bootup"

If people know the answer to the above issue they are much more likely to see your thread and be able to help you.

Asking A Good Question:
To ask a good question, you need to provide all necessary information in your first post. An example of a BAD question is:

"Please help me, my computer wont start!!! I NEED THIS ASAP"

There are thousands of reasons why a computer wont start and they can all happen at different stages. So the next poster will have to ask you questions before you can even get an answer.

An example of a GOOD question is:

"Can someone please help me, when I start my computer I get the following message right after the Windows XP logo shows:

STOP: 0x0000008 (0x000000,0x0000000,0x0000000,0x0000000)

I recently installed a Creative Soundblaster sound card, could this be the cause?"

Examples of good questions include most of the following:
- What were you trying to do?
- What have you tried already, and what happened as a result?
- What was the exact error message you received?
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?
- Have you recently installed or uninstalled any software or hardware?
- What changes have occured on the system between the time everything was working and when you noticed the problem?

Dont let us assume, tell us right at the beginning. In return you are more likely to get the right answer quicker.

As a common courtesy, please let us know if you have fixed the problem and which answer was the one that helped you. This will help other people just like you who encounter the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back