Hotmail MFA question

autumn

Reaction score
hey all

I'm not a Hotmail fan and haven't dealt with it for a long time. However I currently have a client that use it for their business (I know I know, they have a domain name but they can do this stuff better than me, lol). Anyway, it looks like their password has been compromised and it has been reset. MFA (it is a paid Outlook account) is set up, however it only seems to kick in when you go in to the forwarding setting. I can log in with just the username and password on multiple browsers without it prompting for the MFA. AM I missing something?

Forwarding and resetting the MFA tokens are the "high risk actions" where MFA enforcement is guaranteed to happen.

It's stupid too, because the authorization tokens for Outlook.com accounts are valid FOR WEEKS. So even if you fully recover the account, you can't really kick the attacker out.

You'll have to do the account recovery dance, and that's not an easy thing to do.

I've been able to remove any unwanted log ins.

And as mentioned MFA is enabled and does only seem to work when you go in to the forwarding settings of the account, I've never accessed the account before and was able to log straight into the account with the username and password, no MFA required (but is enabled) however until you click on the settings -> forwarding this prompts MFA. I find this odd. Why wouldn't it do the MFA when you first login?

I've been able to remove any unwanted log ins.

And as mentioned MFA is enabled and does only seem to work when you go in to the forwarding settings of the account, I've never accessed the account before and was able to log straight into the account with the username and password, no MFA required (but is enabled) however until you click on the settings -> forwarding this prompts MFA. I find this odd. Why wouldn't it do the MFA when you first login?
Because that's security defaults... insane... but real.

Back