Horrible looking fonts in Vista

Galdorf

Reaction score
Have a machine that came in dos fonts/bios look sharp and clear fonts in vista look broken up tried adjusting font smoothing ,changing fonts still looks bad any ideas?.

A picture might be worth a thousand words. Literally, in this case.
looks exactly like this also updated graphics drivers happens at higher resolutions above 1024x768.

M4AT1XP.png

Looks like it could be corrupted fonts. You can Drag'n'Drop a known good set of fonts and overwrite the ones on the system and see if that clears it up.

There was a 2015 update that was corrupting fonts, replacing the fonts was the solution.

It may also be a failure in the video card if there is one - graphics mode vs text mode. Might be worth booting from a Linux CD/USB to check for display issues that way.

That said, I'm pretty sure the only "Vista-level" systems still under even extended support are Windows Server 2008 (non-R2) boxes, where the only supported browsers available are IE9 and Firefox (I think). If that really is actually a Vista desktop, it should be replaced even if it's with a refurb.

Edit: Also, I assume that's a found image not one from the actual system, correct? Because that "Wine configuration" surrounding the scaled dialog box looks just fine.

Last edited:
Back