[REQUEST] Headset mic not recognized

InHomeComputerHelp.com

Reaction score
Just installed Mint 20 then upgraded to 20.1 Asus laptop Windows 10 (dual boot) computer. Duplex pain in okole port. Seems to be an issue getting mic to be recognized. Internal mic works and both work in Win 10. Anyone deal with this?

Rick

Duplex pain in okole port.
You're going to have to expand on that a bit, Hawaii or not ...

Presuming that the mic doesn't work in Mint, what does dmesg show when the headset is plugged in? Is the headset connection USB? 1 x 3,5 mm? 2 x 3,5 mm? Which Desktop Environment in Mint? Which model Asus? What have you already tried/looked at?

As an outside possibility, make sure that Windows has Fast Boot switched off and is properly shut down (always, not just for this diagnosis) before booting to Mint. Windows doesn't always release hardware – commonly, Wi-Fi cards, but I have seen (admittedly older) sound cards held hostage, too.

You're going to have to expand on that a bit, Hawaii or not ...

Presuming that the mic doesn't work in Mint, what does dmesg show when the headset is plugged in? Is the headset connection USB? 1 x 3,5 mm? 2 x 3,5 mm? Which Desktop Environment in Mint? Which model Asus? What have you already tried/looked at?

As an outside possibility, make sure that Windows has Fast Boot switched off and is properly shut down (always, not just for this diagnosis) before booting to Mint. Windows doesn't always release hardware – commonly, Wi-Fi cards, but I have seen (admittedly older) sound cards held hostage, too.

Using a duplex combo audio jack. Used for ear phones and mic. In Windows you have the option on plugin, speaker or mic. In Mint just says headset which to Mint means speaker. Okole is Hawaiian for butt.

Rick

Last edited:
There are dongles Which can split the connection to one mic and one speaker, in case Linux can't change that in software, which is possible because often features like that are proprietary stuff baked in firmware just like those WinModems of the 2000's.

The adapter is called a four pole or TRRS adapter, you want one with a Male TRRS going into a Y connection with two female TRS connectors. If you can, go for the moulded plastic one not the loose cables, it will last longer.

Using a duplex combo audio jack. Used for ear phones and mic. In Windows you have the option on plugin, speaker or mic. In Mint just says headset which to Mint means speaker.
Your assessment may well be correct! (Google gave me the translation, but better to ask ...)

There are workarounds and options which cover several Asus combo audio jacks, but it's nearly impossible to guide you without the hardware in view. There are several threads on the Linux Mint forum about combo audio, which is probably a good place to start.

Just to be clear, do you have a combo plug on the headset and a combo socket on the laptop, or is one or the other already split?

It sounds as if yes, it's a TRRS plug, but Windows essentially allows you to select which pins are assigned where, so that if you plug in a TRS Jack, Windows allows you to select whether you want it to be an input or output.

I'm no engineer but there must be a transistor or other MOSFET that must turn on and off various traces to allow this, the issue is getting software in Linux to tell the card to do the switch. Without that control, Mint only sees a TRRS jack and when you plug in a mic, because it probably by default defines it as audio output, no power is supplied for the mic, or the mic gets shorted to ground which means a 0V potential which means the mic is muted.

The test would be to insert a cellphone headphone/mic combo. If you can use the mic and hear audio, the splitter I mention above will be a hardware solution that requires no additional setup.

The test would be to insert a cellphone headphone/mic combo.
Good point – I hadn't considered the phone headset.

Both mic and headphones work – input and stereo output – without manipulation in a standard Devuan (Debian without systemd) laptop (HP hardware, with Intel integrated sound and a single 3,5 mm audio jack). Of course, this is not directly comparable with the OP's hardware, but it does indicate that Linux can handle a TRRS headset, so the solution probably lies in the direction of quirks/options for Asus hardware.

Addendum: Just tried on Madame's junky Lenovo with Mint, also Intel – works as expected there, too. Both my test cases have xfce Desktop, but I wouldn't expect that to be significant in this case.

In Mint just says headset which to Mint means speaker.
What is the audio mixer showing (access depends on Desktop Environment)? In Mint, the speakers/headphones are on a separate tab in the mixer to the mic (output and input, respectively).

Good point – I hadn't considered the phone headset.

Both mic and headphones work – input and stereo output – without manipulation in a standard Devuan (Debian without systemd) laptop (HP hardware, with Intel integrated sound and a single 3,5 mm audio jack). Of course, this is not directly comparable with the OP's hardware, but it does indicate that Linux can handle a TRRS headset, so the solution probably lies in the direction of quirks/options for Asus hardware.

Addendum: Just tried on Madame's junky Lenovo with Mint, also Intel – works as expected there, too. Both my test cases have xfce Desktop, but I wouldn't expect that to be significant in this case.

What is the audio mixer showing (access depends on Desktop Environment)? In Mint, the speakers/headphones are on a separate tab in the mixer to the mic (output and input, respectively).
Just went from Mint 20 to 19.2 due to a client's printer issues. Got to install something to test the mic. Headset is showing for and works for output. One mic showing so may be built in. I have to test it. In the meantime I'm going to get a USB headset with mic. No drivers so should work.

Rick

Just went from Mint 20 to 19.2 due to a client's printer issues. Got to install something to test the mic. Headset is showing for and works for output. One mic showing so may be built in. I have to test it. In the meantime I'm going to get a USB headset with mic. No drivers so should work.
Sorry, this is just a meaningless stream of conciousness.

We still don't know which version of Mint you're using ('20' and '19.2' isn't enough in this case – what is the Desktop Environment? Mate? Cinnamon? xfce?), nor which model Asus laptop you're working with, nor how you're determining if the headset microphone is detected and working. You don't need to install anything for that, you can see the microphone signal in the GUI mixer and select among the microphone(s) detected.

Good luck.

Back