Gsuite to Gsuite migration (Same tenant).

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
TL;DR: Client wants all of his folders from Email A to be Migrated to Email B on the same Gsuite tenant. Both emails already exist.

Client has his email setup all dumb. I'm going to use John Doe to try and explain this.

My clients email is (this is what he tells all of his clients):

john@contoso.com

For some reason instead of using john@contoso.com, my client has been forwarding everything sent to john@contoso.com to:

jdoe@contoso.com and using this account to organize his email

Then john@constoso.com has been keeping a copy for itself (so this account has like 120,000 emails in his inbox, and no folders/labels).

Then responding as john@contoso.com

All of his Gsuite folders (or labels) exist under jdoe@contoso.com (MEGA DUMB, I know).

He wants to migrate all of the stuff from jdoe@contoso.com to john@contoso.com

He understands there will be duplication in the inbox since john@contoso.com which forwards to jdoe@contoso.com has been retaining a copy of it's own in it's inbox.

He is attempting to delete the entirety of the 120,000 emails before I move forward with whatever option I choose to go with.

Normally I'd just change the email from jdoe@contoso.com to john@contoso.com then setup an alias, but I can't do that because john@contoso.com already exists.

I'm afraid to delete john@contoso.com then change jdoe@contoso.com to john@contoso.com since jdoe@contoso.com has all of his folders in it because john@contoso.com cant EVER be down, and I'm afraid by deleting it I may not be able to make the swap immediately due to it being stuck in the directory somehow.

The other alternative is I just MigrationWiz jdoe@contoso.com to john@contoso.com, this solution is the one I am leaning towards since it's probably the safest but also probably the most work.

How people come up with these ideas is beyond me...

UGHHH

Last edited:
You could just rename john@ to johnold@ and then change jdoe@ to john@

I am just not as familiar with Gsuite as I am with O365 and with O365 when you try to create an alias or change an email address that was already in the directory as either a mailbox, an alias, or a shared mailbox you will get an error until it has been removed from the directory as a valid address.

In my experience there is no exact time for this, it just takes time ... could be a few hours ... could be overnight.

I can't let that box be down that long.

Add them to Outlook and setup as IMAP, then download all the email. Backup to PST.
Setup a new profile
Add the backup PST
and copy folders over that he wants, leave the PST for archives

+1 BitTitan, though I think there's merit in just doing a good backup of the superfluous mailbox and restoring it to the correct one. If you're using some sort of cloud backup for the mailbox (and you SHOULD -- Google backs up nothing), that could be a much cheaper and nearly as simple a solution as BitTitan.

Back