From Vista To Win XP SP3

Pepeto

Banned
Reaction score
I remove Vista from my laptop and placed Windows Service Pack 3 on it. I encountered a problem in that the audio and video drivers doesn't seem to be working. When I installed them they show up in the device manager with an exclamation sign beside it. I am using the Driver DVD that came with the laptop.
Can anyone help me figure out what's going on? I am beginning to wonder if this laptop was made for vista.:confused:

It's a Toshiba satellite A205 - S5804

Last edited:
for the most part, no, the laptop is not designed for xp anymore. Once the factory installs Vista, they want you to keep vista on it and a lot of the time will not troubleshoot for anything else....and won't supply drivers for anything else

but note, that doesn't mean you can't use drivers from other models.

give some of the drivers on this page a shot and see if any help:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/...e&AddOldPrivateItems=undefined&all_docs=false

I agree that you might be able to use other drivers. I'll also say this is one more reason to stay as far from the bloatware known as Vista as you can. Once you go Vista Microsoft makes it real hard to go back to a good OS.

Also try going to the sites of the makers of the parts instead (use SIW to get part numbers).

Geez...you guys and your Vista bashing. We get it already. Sheesh.

The disc that came with your machine has the Vista drivers. Some of them will install in XP, but as you're seeing, they may not work correctly.

Here's the graphics driver for XP. (Intel GMA X3100)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

and here's the sound driver. (Realtek High Definition Audio)
ftp://202.65.194.212/pc/audio/WDM_R191.zip

I have a question for you. Why is it ok to bash any other crapware such as Norton, but not Vista? Crap is crap no matter how shiny you make it. :rolleyes:

I have a question for you. Why is it ok to bash any other crapware such as Norton, but not Vista? Crap is crap no matter how shiny you make it.

Did I ever say it's not ok to bash Vista? I'm not defending any software, and I know for a fact there are crappy products that we don't like.
Stop to take a look at your posts, though. Someone asks a question, even remotely related to Vista, and people post just to say "Vista's crap! Uninstall it! I hate Vista! BOO!" and BARELY answers the question. Aside from a recent post saying "I Like Vista", I don't recall anyone really defending the software. I don't think it's as bad as everyone says, but I know XP's a MUCH better OS in a lot of ways (at this point).

Basically, my thinking is (and I may be wrong...) that if the bad product is the problem, bash away. An example would be "My computer has a bajillion viruses! I ran Norton AV but they're still there! What should I do?" I just don't see a need to harp on things (Vista, Norton, etc) if someone says something like "I have a laptop that I want to find XP drivers for!" (ie, this post)

;) friendly advice; someone should create a thread with a poll where everyone can take out their Vista aggression!! Sometimes it just feels good to get it out...

(I'd start one myself, but I've made a point to keep all my systems XP :p )

I think its a good idea and tried something like that a while back. It was met with some serious hate. I might still do something like that. I could rant about Vista for days.

Back