Forefront security?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13571
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13571

I recently got Server 2008 R2 on two of my servers and my version of McAffee AV 8.5 Enterprise no longer works on the OS (go figure).

McAffee was slow so I am looking into a new solution. Has anyone tried Forefront? I was going to try it out and see how it fares but wanted to know if anyone here has given it a shot yet.

BTW -- 2008 R2 is a great step up from 2003!

McAfee 8.5 is pretty out of date, they're on 8.7 now (which is much better than previous versions with patch 3 because it solves lots of memory leak and cpu spike issues) and with artemis I actually think it's not half bad... As for forefront, I've heard nothing but bad reviews, and apparently it's not a scratch on MS Security Essentials (which is weird because they're both made by microsoft and the worse product isn't free...), so if you're looking for antivirus protection I agree with ATSCF about ESET antivirus

We run Forefront at my main job, it is pretty nice considering that we had Symantec :)

McAfee 8.5 is pretty out of date, they're on 8.7 now (which is much better than previous versions with patch 3 because it solves lots of memory leak and cpu spike issues) and with artemis I actually think it's not half bad... As for forefront, I've heard nothing but bad reviews, and apparently it's not a scratch on MS Security Essentials (which is weird because they're both made by microsoft and the worse product isn't free...), so if you're looking for antivirus protection I agree with ATSCF about ESET antivirus

Yeah, I am only asking because I bartered for a free instance of it. Not sure how its licensed, either.

I'd prefer to go with Officescan by TrendMicro, personally, but I dont have the cash for a whole setup (only sell it groups of 5 licenses).

Not sure about Forefront, but on all of our servers I run AVG Server Edition and have had no problems. No false postivies, and no infection I could not remove. I have used it on file servers, domain controllers, terminal servers, and dns's servers.

A few of our clients run Forefront TMG servers and my experiences are good all round.

ive no experience of initial setup, but im pretty sure this is quite a complicated process if you plan on using it to its full capabilities with all the rules and policies you need to set up.

That said, once you have it all confgured it is an admins dream to maintain, backing up the configuration is utter childs play. you just export the settings to a password protected .xml and can import it all back after a disatser meaning that the complex initial set up neds do be done once and only once.

Not a great deal of info but hope this helps.

Back