Does an in place upgrade work from Server 2012R2 to 2022?

The link below indicates you can't. Searching that question, as expected, you get all kinds of answers. That being said you never know. You've got all sorts of things to consider that don't exist, for instance, in a W7 to W10 upgrade. If it was me I'd certainly do a test run or three before dropping the hammer.

If you "had to do an in place upgrade...on a single server".....I'd step it in increments...I'd do 2016 first, perhaps 2019.
But there's a lot of other variables to consider...history of this active directory, current domain and forest versions/schema, current DFSR health/state. I do quite a few in place upgrades, although I prefer a whole new server instance and migrating roles over...this way things stay "cleaner".

With in place upgrades, if it's also an app server, carefully review what apps it's hosting...and any database engines, etc....as they have to come along for the ride too and you need to ensure they're good.

Confirming what's already been said. In-place upgrades are only supported for the next 2 versions. Your path would be an upgrade to 2016 or 2019 (can use an evaluation copy) then upgrade a second time to 2022.

The widely accepted practice is only performing in-place upgrades when all other options are not viable.

Upgrades from 2012 to 2022 are "supported".

I do not recommend it.

2012 is Windows 8 server, 2016 is Windows 10 server. 2019 is Windows 10 server. 2022 is Windows 11 server.

You can upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 10, and Windows 11 all you want! It's just as successful as the Windows 10 feature update process, because that's exactly what it is.

However... Upgrading Windows 7/8 to Windows 10 is FAR from clean. It results in unstable platforms.

If you're talking about upgrading a Domain Controller... slap yourself... Because deploying a new one is faster, cleaner, and safer.
If you're talking about upgrading a platform that has or has ever had MSSQL installed... just don't.
If you're talking about upgrading a platform that has or has ever had Exchange installed... just don't.
If you're talking about a platform that has either of the above two services with a 3rd party LOB application tossed on top... DOUBLY SO if IIS is involved... NO NO NO NO NO.

Deploy a fresh VM, migrate the workload. Woe unto those that do not follow this wisdom, for they will lose their customers to me and mine and I'll be stuck cleaning up the mess via a fresh install and a proper process. Because YES I have been there and done that... and no you do NOT want to learn the hard way as I have.

Consider... would you ever think upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 11 was a good idea?

I have done it, it DOES WORK. But only if the server basically has nothing on it but Microsoft stuff, and no advanced services. Basically servers so simple they could have been rerolled in half a day anyway.

I've got 20 some projects in this vein backed up waiting on me to scope them because of the complexity involved. Any company that's still got 2012 in service has done so due to a fundamental lack of IT planning. You do not overcome that lack of planning by running setup.exe! It's time to get creative... because this is work.

Back