Database help

alexsmith2709

Reaction score
I've been working on this on and off for a number of months, but every time i start i just cant get my head around the best way to do it so im hoping someone on here has more knowledge than i do!

I have a number of suppliers for my outsourced printed products like flyers, business cards etc. I can get .csv files from most of these suppliers for the spec and prices. What i would like to do is import these csv's into a database and reimport when they update (say once a month) so i can easily view the prices from each supplier and having the ability to export a csv in a format i design for each product type would be a massive timesaver for me. I would also like to have a retail price column with my markup in a separate table and exported file.
The csv's dont have a unique field, different suppliers use different column names and also have different columns, but for example if in the Size column in both csv's i have "A4" and in material column i have "400gsm silk" and in quantity column i have "100" it can show me the prices from each supplier. Some columns would need a rewrite to know they are the same i think.

I dont mind whether this is local or web based, i have basic PHP knowledge, i've got Microsoft Access but never really used it but open to other (preferably free) options. I would assume using something like INNER JOIN to create a relationship between tables but i've never dealt with joins before so i dont really know what im doing.
I have attached 2 suppliers csv's for the same product range (business cards) to give an example of what i am working with.

If you need any more info let me know. If even you know a basic idea of a way to proceed that would help such as "you need this table linked to this table with this type of join and then have another table with this join".

Thanks

Attachments

• business-cards.zip
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
Back in the day, I used Lotus Approach quite a bit, even building applications for clients. I tried to learn Access, but it was too much like programming for me, and I never made any progress. Approach is long gone, but I'm sure there are other softwares that fit into that "low code" niche. I would look for one of those and just try to create the thing you want yourself.

I think this will be your biggest impediment:

The csv's dont have a unique field, different suppliers use different column names

Databases need unique identifier fields, and if your are going to do lookups, you will need common column names in the different tables.

Back