Data recovery Win 10

katz

Reaction score
Wow - I just cannot believe this.

Long story short; I set up a new Win 10 system for our local tax man, recovered his data from an old laptop that was just barley functioning (failed HD), had all the tax software running perfectly, everything in place. That was 2 weeks ago.

Now, I just received an "emergency call" that the software provider remoted in this morning to download new data for the 2nd tax season to his pc. Problem is, after the file transfer of of the tax season, everything is missing from his pc, in terms of the old data.

To make matters worse, the ONLY backup was a Passport HD, he plugged it in, and all of the folders are on there, but every folder is empty. At this point, there is NO RECORD of any taxes paid anywhere, save for the paper copies that have been submitted to the local tax authority.

My question is this; Would running shadow copy be a good idea to return everything to their proper folders?
I've not used shadow copy in Win 10 yet, so I don't know if anything has changed.

I am getting the Passport drive in the shop as well, so I can run my data recovery software on it and I'm sure I will be able to retrieve data there, problem is, it is not a current backup.

Back