chkdsk loop in Vista Home Basic

Since there are still not a lot of good suggestions on solving this problem out there on the Google, I thought I would add an addendum on how I solved it.

In my case it turned out to be a problem with the disk itself that is undetectable by CHKDSK or by the SMART routines on the HDD. This results in the drive appearing to be dirty even after it has been thoroughly checked. There may be some interaction between the disk problem and a registry corruption as well.

If I boot to a Vista disc and use the repair options to restore the registry to an earlier date, I get a "registry corruption" error and the restore fails. This happens to all the restore points that I have tried and in spite of numerous successful CHKDSKs. However, if I image the drive to a new HDD, that new HDD boots and runs just fine (oops, I can't remember now whether I had to go back to a restore point or not). So, the solution is, as Atlanticjim suggests above, image--> new HDD --> profit.

The old drive on this machine is a Samsung and I've run it through their diagnostic. After a full surface scan, the diagnostic suggests that the drive be reformatted to see if that fixes some problem that it does not specify. If this were my drive, I would ditch it, it's old, it's got some mysterious problem and is not worth the risk of my data. I'm doing the same for the customer.

Back on 02/09/09, I suggested to the OP here that it sounded like he had hard drive problems.

As I've said here frequently, there are no really accurate tests for HDD or ram that are available to us techs. Essentially, that means that if I have more than a small indication that the hdd is bad, I recommend replacement.

Does that mean that a few hard drives may get replaced when they had a little life left? Perhaps. But, since hard drive failure is a certainty at some point, I'm putting that off into the future for that customer. Acceptable compromise, in my opinion. And the customer is happy that his computer is working again.

Rick

crcdisk.sys is used for the Cyclic Redundancy Check. This is used to check for changes to the raw computer data and is usually a good sign that the drive is on it's way out. Everytime i come accross this the drive has bad sectors.

Back