[SOLVED] Can't reset mac password "can't connect to server" error

ell

Reaction score
Hi, I have a older imac here where the customer forgot his apple id password AND user password. So I simply boot to recovery, enter terminal and do the phone reset, they send him the code, he calls me with it and I get a server connection error. Does it make any diff if I use ethernet instead if wifi? I know the connection is live.

Last edited:
Maybe you want to deal with the password issue separately from the iMac. Get that settled with a forgot password process from another machine (at https://iforgot.apple.com) or from the Find My iPhone app on an iPhone or iPad, and then go back to the iMac.

Finally got it done by creating a new admin acct, not too tough:

to create a new admin from recovery and to reset other account password:
Creating an admin account in Single User Mode
  1. Boot into Single User Mode ⌘ + S.
  2. Mount the drive by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  3. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  4. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  5. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.
Reset using new admin account:
  1. Log in with the new admin account.
  2. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then click Users & Groups.
  3. Click the lock, then enter the admin name and password again.
  4. Select your user name from the list of users.
  5. Click the Reset Password button, then follow the onscreen instructions to create a new password:
  6. Change Password window
  7. Choose Log Out from the Apple menu.
  8. Log in to your account using your new password.
Go back into unlocked acct and delete the new account.

Still has to reset his apple ID password but at least he can do it from his Mac now.

Last edited:
Maybe you want to deal with the password issue separately from the iMac. Get that settled with a forgot password process from another machine (at https://iforgot.apple.com) or from the Find My iPhone app on an iPhone or iPad, and then go back to the iMac.
That would be too easy, he doesn't have any other "i" stuff

Back