Can a WinXp restore point be protected ?

Jsch38

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Restore point for WIN XP can password protected or encrypted ?
This is so the customer's do not erase it after service work has been completed and system is working like it should.

Does anyone know if a Restore point for WIN XP can password protected or encrypted ?
This is so the customer's do not erase it after service work has been completed and system is working like it should.

Not sure why a customer would erase, or that they would think of it or even how... so I would think you are safe for that reason alone...

but no, to my knowledge there is no such feature.

If you still think this is needed for you, then my recommendation is taking a few minutes and educating the client about system restore.

Doubt it would work, but maybe boot a linux live cd and copy the appropriate System Volume Information file to a "Support" folder at root, to be copied back the same way if required. Seems like a lot of unnecessary trouble.

Thanks for all of your suggestions

I am going to use ERUNT and backup the registery to a Flashdrive.

Based on how system restore works, I don't see how you could "backup" a restore point.

But to the original question, I've never seen a feature to protect the a restore point.

Edit: Did not see the xp bit sorry

How To Backup System Restore Points hope it helps
Edit: Did not see the xp bit sorry This is how you can access the System Volume Information folder and view the files.

1. Launch Windows Explorer and go to Tools | Folder Options and click the View tab.
  2. Select the Show Hidden Files And Folders option button, clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files check box, and click the Yes button in the Warning dialog box. (If the system is in a workgroup, you'll need to clear the Use Simple File Sharing check box as well.) Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
  3. Access the root directory of the hard disk, right click on the System Volume Information folder, select Properties and access the Security tab.
  4. Click the Add button, enter your user account name in the Select Users, Computers, or Groups dialog box and click OK twice.
  5. Now you can now access the System Volume Information folderand view the files.

source

Last edited:
Back