Cable tester/verifier/certifier what's your pick?

Tech Savvy

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what others are using for testing cable/verifying/certifying (if you do it).

We mostly do small wiring jobs < 10 drops. On occasion well do the larger jobs, but most of the time we'll sub it out if its on the larger side. Never certified a cable in my life.

I use the Triplett LVPRO30SR, but in a pinch we'll use a cheapo that just shows the pairs in order one at a time. I really only use it for network cable. It gives me distance of the cable, wiremapping, fault type, distance for each pair, link quality. But what I really like is the diagnostic features... blinking a switch port, detect POE/POE type and 8 "smart" remotes. They call them smart, which I guess they are, because in addition to identifying the remote number (like the basic ones) they are also additional remote testers that will fully test the cable with maps, distances, and specs and identify the number all in one shot.

Overall I like it, but its finicky sometimes, distances are not very reliable, and I need separate rechargeable batteries, it can't charge itself through USB which is annoying. What are you using?

I have used a Fluke CableIQ for years now and love it. It's a qualifier, not a certifier as I think it better to just rent a certifier when and if I need one. Fluke has just come out with the LinkIQ which is the CableIQ on steroids (my words).

I have used a Fluke CableIQ for years now and love it. It's a qualifier, not a certifier as I think it better to just rent a certifier when and if I need one. Fluke has just come out with the LinkIQ which is the CableIQ on steroids (my words).
Is it worth the $$$ though, those are big bucks!

Most recently bought a LRAT2000. Prior to that I had a CableIQ and before that JDSU NT1155. I learned a long time ago that blinky light kits are nothing more than continuity testers which can some serious limitations for real troubleshooting. While rare a run can have EMR problems. And having a device that'll ID the remote switch/router ports is super useful.

Back