Bitdefender Pain

Blackhammer

Reaction score
So my main employer has had several years of success with Kaspersky. The Update module has been very robust and we were using that rather than WSUS for many years. After recent political events, I was asked by the executives to not renew it when it came due. My self and one of my team members settled on Bitdefender. We both work full time at a manufacturer and also work part time for different MSPs in different states. So he had more experience with it, and he would be using it more. I I arranged the licenses. and we deployed it out to 31 machines with another 30 to do next week.
Today, we had several PCs not able to print. The print jobs would go in que and would say that the printer was off line. Maybe 5 or 6 PCs out of the 31 did this. We could ping the network printer. We could open the webpage for the network printer from the offending PC but we could not print. And the PCs maybe had 3 network printer that they could access, and they would print to the non-default ones just fine.

Well the default policy for Bitdefender is for the Firewall to DENY access to network printers. After a little bit of looking around, we found a Youtube video on how to modify the default policy and apply it.

Just a tip for you all on this. We found that the first 2 PCs with this worked fine after we rebooted them. The next 3 did not. And many people just printed fine to the network printers. But immediately after the policy was changed and pushed out, they all started printing just fine.

Bitdefender has some really stupid defaults that kill random pieces of essential business networking. I even posted in their tech support and forums how (IMHO) stupid their default settings were. Made no difference. They continue to this day so I have learned to stay away from them.

After a week of installs, it has found several trojans inside of PSTs for Outlook. I even save emails by month and year in a PST and it found some in my 2015 files. So I am pretty happy with it. Very light on resources. We did have one person reboot and they could not access a printer. When we uninstalled Bitdefender, they could access the printer. Reinstalled Bitdefender with the policy to allow printing and they could not print. We changed the port from a WSD port to the ip address and they could print again.

Back