Be careful out there... always say 'I love you!'

I always tell Dianne (my better-half) to call me to the front door of the house just as she is about to drive somewhere so that I can kiss her goodbye.
Same when I am leaving - she knows to come to the door.
This is for the same reason as yours.
I am glad to hear that everyone is OK.

Geeze, I'm glad she's alright. This is why I drive a Cadillac Escalade. I have two of them (an older one and a newer one). I won't let me or my immediate family drive anything else.

One of my Escalade's got rear-ended by a Mercury Mariner. The guy driving the Mariner was taken to the hospital with critical injuries (he thankfully survived) but both my mother and myself were fine without even a scratch on us (she was driving in the Escalade with me at the time). My Escalade wasn't even totaled, but the Mariner was. I think it was about $6,000 in body damage, which isn't much for an Escalade. It's still a great car. I sold it a while back but I know the guy I sold it to and he still has it.

Glad all is well and she is OK, I know how scary it can be.

Almost three years ago now, I got a text from my wife that said "in accident going samc".... that was the start of a 5 day adventure tour through the modern healthcare system. Best I could piece together is that she ran a red light on a 4 lane hwy doing 60mph (swears it was green) and clipped a crossing car. The passengers in that car were fine, but she ended up with an acetabular hip fracture that bought her a 180 mile ambulance ride to Birmingham,AL for surgery, as none of th local docs wanted to try it. 4 days later I drove her home and she spent the next 3 months getting around on a walker and dealing with what turned out to be a temporary case of foot-drop. Now almost 3 years later she is about 95% back to where she was before the accident.

I'm very thankful because it could have been much worse, and we too make it a point to wish each other a safe trip whenever we leave the house.

PS> I'm also very thankful she was 'on the clock' driving between offices, as workman's comp picked up the bill. Even with good insurance, we'd have been at least $8k out of pocket otherwise. First day in the hospital, even before her surgery while she lay there in traction, the insurance lady came in and asked if we wanted to pay the $500 copay for the day in cash or check?

@Abramsgunner Ya, the bills are outrageous.

Happy we're not out of pocket on it, so it's all good. Get this:

The Ambulance ride from the accident - 3/4 of a mile to the hospital = $3000 (Does not include medical given inside the ride... JUST THE RIDE!)

Yes, that sounds familiar.. I think the 180 mile ride was $3500 or so. The few hours in the emergency room while they decided what to do was $25K, surgery itself was $125K.... I have no idea what the rest of the bill looked like... ignorance is bliss.

10 years ago, my mother spent 5 nights in the hospital.. a very tiny private room with a bathroom and TV.. no special care.. just the room and a nurse who checked on her twice a day= $80K

I had a run in with a bad driver the other day while i was walking home from work this old woman sped up and did not slow down leaving the parking lot i had milliseconds to react i seen the car grill in my face so i jumped up bouncing off the top of the hood and roll off the driver did not even stop or slow down the impact stunned me so i could not read the license plate only ended up with a small bruise.
I have a sneaking suspension she was driving on a suspended license or was drunk.

Last edited:
Back