Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-17-2009, 12:33 PM

Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Avira AntiVir Personal Free

Is anyone having trouble with downloading definition updates? It has been hanging on me for past 2 days. I've tried 3 different copies on 3 different computers also. Wondering if they are having server problems on their end?
Old 09-17-2009, 12:54 PM

deutschnaftula is an unknown quantity at this point

You can download the offline update, from their website http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html

click on Update/manual update
Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Brandon is an unknown quantity at this point

Nozza: I have only been testing for 3 days. Seem to consume less resources than AVG Free which I like.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 PM

TimeCode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza View Post
I 've been using it for years and really rate it for detection and light weight. I tend to install it for clients who want free AV and don't mind the lack of email scanning.
I've been using it since AVG 8.0 came out and I love it. I am also a reseller for Avira so if the client wants email and web protection, I simply sell them the $27.00 version and everyone is happy.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

This is one of the reasons I started using Avast for home users who wanted a free AV. Avira would constantly hang when trying to receive updates. The last thing I want to do is recommend an AV and not have it work properly.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:10 PM

tasaholic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Is anyone having trouble with downloading definition updates? It has been hanging on me for past 2 days. I've tried 3 different copies on 3 different computers also. Wondering if they are having server problems on their end?
It appears to be an ongoing issue with Avira...I can only do manual updating for the last three days , and a search reveals it to be a common complaint. Whereas I like the program..it is totally useless if it fails to update as often as it does...I have stopped recommending it to clients because of this issue.Hopefully someone at Avira will take a look at fixing the problem before they disappear from existence.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:14 AM

TimeCode is on a distinguished road

If you use Avira's free edition, the delayed updates happen a bit. I've never seen it happen with the paid versions because they download from a different server. That is one additional bonus to purchasing a full version.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 AM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCode View Post
If you use Avira's free edition, the delayed updates happen a bit. I've never seen it happen with the paid versions because they download from a different server. That is one additional bonus to purchasing a full version.
True, but usually people want to try before they buy and in this case the problem will deter them as it did for me. They should make it a priority to resolve the issue before they lose more potential customers.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:20 AM

ReArtemis is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Avira Internet Security installed on one of my systems and it always updates at full speed.

However, the update servers are different for the free version. Apparently Avira state that they can't afford the bandwidth costs to grant the free users with reliable speeds. I was thinking that because i was updating several machines a day from my one ip address that they were throttling me but it turned out that the free version update servers are often unreliable for everyone.

I have switched to downloading the definitions manually and explain to customers when they collect their machines that some days they will struggle to get updates.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:56 AM

Larry Sabo has a spectacular aura aboutLarry Sabo has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
True, but usually people want to try before they buy and in this case the problem will deter them as it did for me. They should make it a priority to resolve the issue before they lose more potential customers.
So install the 30-day trial of AntiVir PE. Once they find it's great, it's easy for them to buy the license. Before becoming a reseller, I used to install the trial version and update it before buying, to ensure it was safe to do so on a potentially infected machine. Customer gets the added bonus of a free month, even if they buy it immediately after installing+updating it.