Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 09-14-2009, 05:05 PM

DanF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Client got problems with her ISP

Client, who is n a contract till December, is having speed problems... daily.

She's supposed to have a service for 5Mbps download and 256kbps upload. Most of the time when the speed is test, using various speed tests, the download speed results to around 2Mbps (sometimes less sometimes more). When contacted the ISP told her that she's having daily uploads, thus exceeding the upload limit, and always at the same time 11am to 5pm. When their customer care agent told me this I was like wtf! Yes, she has a wireless network (1 PC which is connected directly to the modem via USB as it's old and doesn't have a NIC, 2 wireless laptops and 1 wireless PC). The network is secured (wasn't before but I've secured the network like 2 or 3 weeks ago).

The customer care agent changed his version and asked me to eliminate the router for a week! This was a no no for her as she already did the same thing before. The reason why he wanted to do this was to reset the modem, but I'm not sure why he wanted her to work without the router for a week.

My thoughts are that the modem is bad, but again I'm confused as the time is always and daily from 11am to 5pm... when all the systems are switched off. What I've suggested is to plug off the modem when she's not using the internet (as they only use it for one hour skype in the afternoon and after 6pm for work purposes as she's a teacher), contact them after three days and ask them the same question to check if their system is still showing uploads between the mentioned time (when the modem is completely switched off).

I've never had such a problem before and I'm with the same ISP. I would like to hear your thoughts about this from your experience. Also, I'm thinking of installing some software (need your suggestions for this) which will log internet activity through the whole network... including IPs etc... just to make sure it's not malicious software (but again, it wouldn't work if the systems are switched off during that time).

Strange. Thanks in advance for your replies everyone.

Dan.

EDIT: this is her router: http://www.sitecom.com/product.php?p...&productid=580

Last edited by DanF; 09-14-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 PM

DohIForgot is an unknown quantity at this point

If this is DSL, it can be a few things. I'd reset the router and start a traceroute and ping check to see where the problem is. If you can see a bad router on their end, thats your issue. To check the modem/router, use a PPOE connection on one of the computers or your laptop and check speeds again.

While DSL is typically better than when it first came out, is something specific going on around her shop at those times? Maybe a specific machine or light being turned on, neighbors doing something? As an example I've seen street lamps cause problems like this in the evening...

If it's not DSL, what type of connection is it and how are the traceroute/ping tests?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM

It's cable. tracert works fine.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:57 AM

dahljh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
Client, who is n a contract till December, is having speed problems... daily.

My thoughts are that the modem is bad, but again I'm confused as the time is always and daily from 11am to 5pm... when all the systems are switched off.

EDIT: this is her router: http://www.sitecom.com/product.php?p...&productid=580
All of the connected PC's are turned off from 11-5?
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 AM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
She's supposed to have a service for 5Mbps download and 256kbps upload. Most of the time when the speed is test, using various speed tests, the download speed results to around 2Mbps (sometimes less sometimes more).

The customer care agent changed his version and asked me to eliminate the router for a week! This was a no no for her as she already did the same thing before. The reason why he wanted to do this was to reset the modem, but I'm not sure why he wanted her to work without the router for a week.

My thoughts are that the modem is bad, but again I'm confused as the time is always and daily from 11am to 5pm...
Shes supposed to be getting a MAX of 5Mbps but shes getting 2Mbps. Yes, that 5 down is usually meant to mean a best case scenario, not average or otherwise. That really doesn't sound too out of whack, unless she has some enhanced speedboost added to the down speeds. In that case then it should be hitting around that speed or sometimes double. Otherwise cut out the router and wire directly into the modem for a more accurate reading.

They want her to go without the router because they want to rule out that its not the router causing the issue. This is standard protocol for any ISP and you'd be surprised how often it is the router. As far as running speed test results to the ISP, they won't even bother listening to you because those tests are different at every test site without any proven accuracy. If she isn't at least willing to go without the router for a couple days, they aren't going to be that willing to help out.

After removing the router out of the equation and all the PCs, if you think it is the modem, most cable companies have a drop off location to swap the modem out provided she renting one of their modems. If the modem is 3 or 4 years old, it is probably time for a swap since that is about the max life span on those things. She can even go buy her own modem if she wants and save herself the monthly rental fee. She just has to call them to have it added to their system then give them their modem back.

As far as her uploads I'd check their timeline on that. Their records could be showing results from before you secured the network. Maybe someone was piggybacking of her router and having a ball. You also might want to check if they are talikng about just her ip address or if its just a high traffic time on her node.

Last edited by anonymous Mac Tech; 09-15-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 AM

dahljh is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Mac Tech... Almost all of my clients see an average of about half of their stated download speed. The 5 down is "bursted" speed, not guaranteed speed.

Unlike DSL, Cable modem services can slow down significantly if many people in a neighborhood (node) access the Internet simultaenously.

Matter of fact, according to the 2004 TGI-EGM Colombia study, 2/3 of the internets daily usage is between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.

I you have a good Router/Firewall it should give you all of the information you need in the logs without installing any other applications. But these logs would be mostly on the backside (LAN) side.

Are you sure non of the PC's have any file sharing programs on them?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:04 AM

Yes, although her father uses his laptop in the afternoon for skype... but it's not more than one hour and it's switched off when finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahljh View Post
All of the connected PC's are turned off from 11-5?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:11 AM

She already eliminated the router some weeks ago, that's why I don't think it's the router. Also, the traffic is always, and daily, between 11am and 5pm. When I asked the agent if he could actually know more details about the uploads (such as IPs and the like), he said they only get a graph stating the downloads, uploads, state of the modem and how is the modem connected. That's why I thought of a network monitor (but I've never had such a problem so I've never used such a thing, that's why I need your suggestions), to identify what's doing all these uploads.

As regards to the speed, sometimes she gets below 1Mbps. I have the same service and when I do speed tests I always get over 4.5Mbps and we live very very close, so it's the same area.

I'm not sure if they let you use your modem instead. Not sure.

Thanks for your reply Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous Mac Tech View Post
Shes supposed to be getting a MAX of 5Mbps but shes getting 2Mbps. Yes, that 5 down is usually meant to mean a best case scenario, not average or otherwise. That really doesn't sound too out of whack, unless she has some enhanced speedboost added to the down speeds. In that case then it should be hitting around that speed or sometimes double. Otherwise cut out the router and wire directly into the modem for a more accurate reading.

They want her to go without the router because they want to rule out that its not the router causing the issue. This is standard protocol for any ISP and you'd be surprised how often it is the router. As far as running speed test results to the ISP, they won't even bother listening to you because those tests are different at every test site without any proven accuracy. If she isn't at least willing to go without the router for a couple days, they aren't going to be that willing to help out.

After removing the router out of the equation and all the PCs, if you think it is the modem, most cable companies have a drop off location to swap the modem out provided she renting one of their modems. If the modem is 3 or 4 years old, it is probably time for a swap since that is about the max life span on those things. She can even go buy her own modem if she wants and save herself the monthly rental fee. She just has to call them to have it added to their system then give them their modem back.

As far as her uploads I'd check their timeline on that. Their records could be showing results from before you secured the network. Maybe someone was piggybacking of her router and having a ball. You also might want to check if they are talikng about just her ip address or if its just a high traffic time on her node.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:18 AM

According to the ISP agent the internet IS slow and not normal, but they're saying that it's her fault as she's having a lot of uploads which exceed the limit.

As I've already stated, we're in the same area, and I'm not being affected with these speed problems. We're in the same block of houses.

They don't have any p2p sharing, well she had Ares but I told her to get rid of it to avoid further problems as she doesn't use it often. And it's a freshly installed system. The other laptop is not used at home, as she's a teacher and only uses the laptop at school. The other laptop is used by her parents... for skype. They don't know how to use a computer. The other PC is used after 6pm as her brother comes from work after 6pm. That's why I found it strange that there are uploads daily from 11am to 5pm... on their network (which is a secured network). To totally rule out the probability of someone getting into their network I told her to plug off the modem when she's not using the internet and we'll see if the ISP agent tells her that she's still having excessive uploads between 11am and 5pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahljh View Post
Agree with Mac Tech... Almost all of my clients see an average of about half of their stated download speed. The 5 down is "bursted" speed, not guaranteed speed.

Unlike DSL, Cable modem services can slow down significantly if many people in a neighborhood (node) access the Internet simultaenously.

Matter of fact, according to the 2004 TGI-EGM Colombia study, 2/3 of the internets daily usage is between 11 a.m. and 6 p.m.

I you have a good Router/Firewall it should give you all of the information you need in the logs without installing any other applications. But these logs would be mostly on the backside (LAN) side.

Are you sure non of the PC's have any file sharing programs on them?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 PM

Kenhelms is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest putting a bandwith monitoring utility on each computer to see exactly how much they are using. If she is getting slapped with a fair access policy, then the ISP can provide info on when the violation occurs most often(3 when the kids get off?) and whether it is a upload or download issue(If they cant they are lying, they are required to by law) you could also use wireshark,etc to do a capture and see where the packets are going and such to make sure that there isnt any unauthorized IPs doing anything. Are the kids streaming games, etc?

Most FAPS are 24hr , 72 hr, 7 day & 30 day rolling blocks, hopefully its not just that she is still tagged with the FAP and it hasnt been lifted.