Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM

jimllfixit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Windows 7

Has anyone else noticed the number of people asking about Win 7?

No-one seems to be buying PC's at the moment. Just about everyone comes in and asks "Can I but a laptop with 7 on?"

To which we say no not till 22nd Oct. Then they rant about Vista then leave. Now I do like Vista but I can see that it is buggy, and that 7 is meant to solve a lot of problems.

Is anyone else getting this rise in Custy's? I dont know what it was like XP to vista as I was in college. What do you say to them? As there gonna be problems with 7 as well when it comes out.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:17 PM

ProTech Support is on the way

Um, I hate to tell you, but you just shot yourself in the foot....and then your customers

You are correct, Windows 7 does not come until October. Where you went wrong is sending them out the door without a sale. As with Windows Vista, they have the upgrade option. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...s/upgrade.aspx

So if they come in and are looking for Windows 7, let them know they can purchase a computer today, and upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as it releases. They are happy, you have a sale, and Microsoft keeps lining those pockets.

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:43 PM

See this is the thing though, they WONT buy, a lot of them dont care that Vista is upgradeable and the rest just wont listen. This is where I'm getting confused. Most of our custys respect what we say, but people seem to be far to set in there ways about Vista
Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 PM

SOHO-NZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProTech Support View Post
Um, I hate to tell you, but you just shot yourself in the foot....and then your customers

You are correct, Windows 7 does not come until October. Where you went wrong is sending them out the door without a sale. As with Windows Vista, they have the upgrade option. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy...s/upgrade.aspx

So if they come in and are looking for Windows 7, let them know they can purchase a computer today, and upgrade to Windows 7 as soon as it releases. They are happy, you have a sale, and Microsoft keeps lining those pockets.
This is where we all need to find a balance between the advice we give based upon the best technical information (ie Vista or Win 7) vs the advice that is best for our business (ie let's make a sale).

It's a bit of a dilemma. I don't think most of my customer will want to get a Vista machine then have to Upgrade it later. - So I have been suggesting that my customers wait until October, and call me when Windows 7 is native to the computer. I think the customers appreciate the honesty, and well, we'll see how many of them come back when Windows 7 is fully available. My customers tend to be very loyal, so I don't really worry about losing out to competition much.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Cue is an unknown quantity at this point

You might loose some sale, as other companies will use the Windows 7 hype and put out special deals.
And the worst ones will try to get rid of the computers that just meet minimum requirements.
I remember some bastards here sold computers with 512mb memory and shared video memory when Vista was new.
Those computers are completely unusable from the get go.

Not to hijack your thread, but does anyone know if W7 is different from Vista in any way that concerns us, repair vise?
Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM

I don't think it would to much, having used the RC it seems to work in much the same way as Vista at the core. Also hopefully there wont be much of driver incombatibility.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:37 PM

ProTech Support is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHO-NZ View Post
This is where we all need to find a balance between the advice we give based upon the best technical information (ie Vista or Win 7) vs the advice that is best for our business (ie let's make a sale).

It's a bit of a dilemma. I don't think most of my customer will want to get a Vista machine then have to Upgrade it later. - So I have been suggesting that my customers wait until October, and call me when Windows 7 is native to the computer. I think the customers appreciate the honesty, and well, we'll see how many of them come back when Windows 7 is fully available. My customers tend to be very loyal, so I don't really worry about losing out to competition much.
I completely agree and follow what you are saying. As a matter of fact, that is exactly how I handle it myself. I think I just came off wrong with my post. I was not saying that regardless of what they are looking for, try and get that sale. Sales are important, but loyalty and trust are the bread and butter. It just sounded as if the OP was not even giving the customer information about that path (the purchase now, upgrade later), hence potentially loosing some customers that would have been comfortable with doing it.

Technibble is a place for professionals, so lets keep it professional.

ProTech Hosting - Website Hosting, Domain Registration, & Internet Services!

Special discount on website hosting for TechNibble members, send me a message for more information!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 PM

thecoldone06 is on a distinguished road

In order to sell to them on the spot regardless of whether Win 7 is released yet is to maybe offer some sort of presale discount. If, for example, you have 5 people that want a computer with Win 7 and your a Dell authorized reseller, get a $100.00 deposit (obviously applied to the final bill) and order all 5 computers at once with the authorized reseller discount when Win 7 becomes pre-installed.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 PM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

I can't blame them. Anyone with sense will wait until Windows 7 comes pre-installed. There are a number of good reasons for this.

1. Even though Microsoft stated that anyone who got a Vista machine after June would get a free upgrade to 7, this is manufacture dependent. It is at their discretion to honer this and some are not. ( Ask Mike Smith from the Mike tech show about his new Gateway )

2. If Windows 7 comes pre-installed most likely all the drivers will work.

3. If they buy now they will have to put up with Vista for a month, and no one should have to suffer through that.

4. As a side note I have been using Windows 7 for months with no problems at all, and as my primary OS for over a month again with no problems.

Last edited by gunslinger; 08-30-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
3. If they buy now they will have to put up with vista for a month, and no one should have to suffer through that.
lol.................................