Go Back   Technibble Forums > Advertising & Marketing > Advertising Critique

Technibble Sponsor

Old 08-05-2009, 10:21 AM

Mouse Mate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally finished website

My site has been up and running for a couple of months now, but a lot of the pages were "coming soon" Now everything is as it should be I wonder if you chaps would cast your eyes over it, and share your thoughts?

I built the template in Fireworks CS4 and manage the site in Dreamweaver CS4. Logo was created in good old Photoshop 7!!!

http://www.mouse-mate.co.uk

There's also links to a couple of other sites I've recently designed, both were freebies, as one is my sisters and the other is the football team I play for.

Cheers
Old 08-05-2009, 10:27 AM

ComputerClinic is on a distinguished road

Looks good. Simple, clean, and to the point. I like your vehicle. It actually kind of reminds me of a mouse
Old 08-05-2009, 10:57 AM

atlanticjim is on a distinguished road

Very clean design and very readable.

Just some suggestions.

The home page looks a little sparse, at first I thought I had reached the contacts page, which usually looks like just a few lines. I dont know much but perhaps a larger font for the text?

I would put the left column menu, about all the services, on every page. By the way, those pages are very well written, very personable.
Quote:
Please note we currently only work with Windows based systems, but we are hoping to offer support for Apple Mac and Linux in the future.
I would avoid anything negative at all (like not doing some particular work) and wait for the phone call and have a stock response "Oh, I am sorry that I don't do that work but I know a great shop that specializes in just what you need".

The coverage page, pretty sparse, how about a map? A linkable Google map with a Photoshopped overlay of a coverage area? If it is linked, then they can go straight to Google directions. Also on this page, the things on the left "NN13" look like links cause they are red, but alas, they are not.
I would redo the valetting page and just rewrite it in HTML rather than using the image.

Quote:
Mouse Mate was formed in May 2009 after running the business part time for 6 months
I wouldn't advertise that I just started my business, let them think otherwise "How long have you been doing this?" ,"Oh, I have been doing this for years" "Oh yeah? Then why have I not heard of you till now?" "Well, I was working for someone else before [me, my family, my friends, my neighbors, my boss ] , but now I am out on my own". I would also love to see a photo of your smiling face, or perhaps a snapshot of you elbow deep in the mysterious bowels of a mis-behaving personal computer? (they dont have to know that our work is 90% keybored [sic])

It is obvious that the webhosting is handled by a third party. Rather than push them from the link, explain that you contract to provide webhosting with one of the largest, oldest, most trusted webhosting services, and link them from that explanation.

You have prices on your pages, that will require updating in the future, and hopefully you will be too busy repairing to spend time updating a website. Personally, I never mention prices to a client until they ask, sometimes the first time they hear about the price is when I present the bill.

I will appologize for any offense taken to my impressions. I am just getting started with putting up a website. I know that I find it very difficult to take criticism of any kind. But know that it is all meant in kindness.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:50 AM

expresstech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanticjim View Post
Very clean design and very readable.

The coverage page, pretty sparse, how about a map... ....I wouldn't advertise that I just started my business... ...explain that you contract to provide webhosting with one of the largest, oldest, most trusted webhosting services, and link them from that explanation.
I agree with this and the site does feel a little empty in some areas.

I do like the review section on your about page that is a great idea. Overall the site is easy to follow and loads quickly.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 PM

thebeardedone is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally, I think having prices on your site is the best, then you aren't misleading any potential customers and you avoid the awkward silence on the phone when you tell them the cost
The site looks nice and original, so good job, and the car looks excellent Perhaps a picture of yourself there would be a good idea

Overall, a big bearded thumbs up

-palmface-
Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM

cmonova will become famous soon enough

For the "web hosting" part make that a page in itself and talk a bit about web hosting and then put the link there and say (opens in new windows) or something to that effect. That way the person does not click on it on your menu and next thing they know they are gone from the site.

As far as prices someone mentioned not a big fan on putting them on a site. One they can change on a days notice then you have to update. Second, I want the person to call our shop. If they call we will get the work. If you don't/can't get them to call then you already didn't have a chance.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:28 PM

Larry Sabo has a spectacular aura aboutLarry Sabo has a spectacular aura about

What Atlanticjim said. Plus, I'd buy a wheel disk for the front wheels of your vehicle and re-do that photo. On the Contacts page, consider adding an e-mail link, delivery address and hours, telephone number and map.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM

thebeardedone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Sabo View Post
[snip] Plus, I'd buy a wheel disk for the front wheels of your vehicle and re-do that photo.
Cor! There's nothing like nitpicking I think the photo looks fine and, to be honest, most people probably wouldn't notice that a trim was missing anyway
Old 08-05-2009, 03:23 PM

K007 is an unknown quantity at this point

"About Us" and "Contact us" pages are not aligned the same as the rest of the pages.
I am using Firefox with a screen resolution of 1366x768
Old 08-05-2009, 04:19 PM

Davis Computer Services is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeardedone View Post
Cor! There's nothing like nitpicking I think the photo looks fine and, to be honest, most people probably wouldn't notice that a trim was missing anyway
Maybe I'm not most people then. I noticed it immediately and cringed. If he can't pay attention to detail to fix his car, what is he going to do when he works on my computer? You would think before taking a picture of his car for his website, he would make sure it is all there.