Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 07-29-2009, 10:15 PM

Canadian Tech is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Canadian Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Canadian Tech
Default Networking help please.

Ok guys I'm finally asking for some help because I'm stumped. I'm not the greatest with networks but I can usually get them up and running but not this one. I was wondering if anyone can help me? I've got a d-link router on dsl service and I had one computer on it. Now I was given another computer and thought I would set it up for my kids. I use the same router for when I'm working on a client's computer and the client's computer will connect to the network no problem. This new computer I can not get it to connect no how. I tried ipconfig release and renew but it won't renew. Oh it will not connect to the internet no matter what. I tried to set up a new network connection but that didn't work. Installed a new network card but that also didn't work. When I try to ping another computer on the network it can't find it. I even shut off the firewall thinking it might be that.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 PM

NickCat11 is on a distinguished road

Not sure by reading your post but did you try connecting with a hard line instead of wireless to see if the internet would work?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:22 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Is it getting a valid ip? 192.168.x.x or a self assigned ip 169.254.x.x? Or no ip address? How about manually configuring an ip to match the network? Check and make sure the connection is not bridged. Are the correct services enabled DHCP client, DNS?
Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to Canadian Tech Send a message via Yahoo to Canadian Tech

Sorry its wired into the network and its getting a self assigned ip 169.254.189.112. It does not see anything else on the network
Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 PM

anonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura aboutanonymous Mac Tech has a spectacular aura about

Verify its not the cable or port.

Try repairing winsock. Go to the command line type: netsh winsock reset catalog
restart.

Still no love, try to rebuild the TCP/IP stack: netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
restart.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM

jscomputingpro is an unknown quantity at this point

What OS? You're getting an APIPA addy, so I assume you've got lights on both the NIC and router's switch? Is this a cat5 cable you've had success with before? Have you tried another cat5 cable? Have you tried using the "Repair" function of the OS for the NIC? If not, have you tried disabling and then re-enabling the NIC? Have you tried setting the NIC to a static IP with the correct netmask and gateway?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:07 PM

Its a fresh install of XP Pro. I tried repairing the connection but it won't do that, I tried ipconfig release/renew but it wouldn't renew. I tried a different NIC as well same thing. Haven't tried a static IP yet. I tried a new cat5 cable even tried it in a different port.
Tried netsh winsock reset catalog but didn't work
Tried netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Still no go
Old 07-29-2009, 11:18 PM

Try the static IP to see if it will at least communicate on the network when it's properly configured.

If it does work, perhaps there's a problem with DHCP on either the client or the router...

Have you checked the DHCP service to make sure it's started? Check Event Viewer?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 PM

Ok when it comes to DHCP service and event viewer I'm a rookie and have no clue how to do that. Either that or i'm so frustrated with it that i'm not thinking straight.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 PM

To check the DHCP service: Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. DHCP Client will be in the list...check to see if it's got a status of "Started"

To check Event Viewer: Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer.
I believe anything to do with DHCP would be in the System log... look to see if you have any warnings or errors that are related to dhcp or the network....