Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 02-16-2007, 09:48 AM

PcTek is on a distinguished road
Default Windows Vista

How do you all think windows vista will affect the pc repair market? I read an article that said you could only install it two times period. What have you guys read ? Anything interesting along those lines ? Can it really be that stable?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:03 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

I don't think they will be able to limit the number of times it can be installed if they are now they won't be for long the need to reinstall multiple times is too high in general to stick to that they will have to do something to allow you to work around this.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 PM

TorontoRepair is on a distinguished road
Default As all other thing there is a learning curve

I don't think that Vista will be harder than XP, it is just a matter of getting used to it.

And by the time we really start getting people with Vista problems we would have already forgotten about XP
Old 03-27-2007, 02:41 PM

focuz is on a distinguished road

To activate windows after the two time mark or whatever they have set you just are forced to call Microsoft and explain why you are reinstalling and they should give you a key for activation

I had to do this with my server 2003 activation. I had it for school and reinstalled it about every 2 months for a semester.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:55 PM

Alden is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Alden
Default Vista

I hated it when the tech release came out. 2.6 gig proc, 500 hd, 1.5 gig ram and my machine was sluggish.

I ditched it a month later once I realized it wasn't too different than XP. Quite a few clients have upgraded (sweet for biz), and it's fairly intuitive if you're used to other versions of Windows.

I recommend at least a gig of ram or you'll be cursing your system.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I hated it when the tech release came out. 2.6 gig proc, 500 hd, 1.5 gig ram and my machine was sluggish.
I have seen some cheaper brandname new computers leaving the stores with only 400mb of RAM (onboard video is taking the 112mb) and Windows Vista installed. I can safely tell you those customers weren't happy with the big name stores who sold them 3.4ghz-ish machines that run like crap from day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden View Post
Quite a few clients have upgraded (sweet for biz)
Yeah, Ive had a few upgrade callouts and a few fixing callouts lately. The main one I come across are that the printer drivers on the driver Cd's dont work with Vista so I have to download them before hand from the manufacturers site. As you said, its sweet for biz.

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 06-15-2007, 06:51 AM

greggh will become famous soon enough
Default Vista...

We still recommend XP to customers, and when customers want new computers and what us to build them its XP unless they BEG for Vista.

Having many techs out in the field I can safely say Vista is a whole lot of headache for no real added value. Some of that has to do with the fact that they just aren't used to it. But most of it is simply Vista being Vista. Google around for all the people having bad problems with Vista and WPA-PSK. Thats just one of MANY ongoing problems that have not been fixed.