Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 01-20-2007, 03:05 PM

crankit98 is on a distinguished road
Default Have You Ever Experienced Web Hijacking?

What a pain. If you visit the net often, you'll have your Web Browser
hijacked and it will have a mind of its own for awhile.This happens
with us broadband users.

Have anyone experienced this?
Old 01-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Jura is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Jura

That sounds kinda fun. Did your browser take you anywhere interesting?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 PM

agarath is on a distinguished road

Spy axe...can't remember the exact issue but it too was a multi payload browser hijack...fun fun fun. That was the LAST time I ever used IE for ANY type of browsing that I couldn't do with FF.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

I see browser hijackings all the time on clients computers. I have seen some smaller ones that just redirect search engine results. For example, if I typed in something in Google it would redirect to another search engine or still use Google but with an affiliate code (so the infector gets paid for my searching).

Sometimes they will put their own ads into other sites or totally redirect the site for that user completely. I once had this happen to my other site Anime-Forums.com, as soon as the infected person went to my site, they would be redirected to another forum with the name anime-forums.something.org.

I'd say the worst browser hijack Ive seen was about 2 years ago when I was formatting a computer using a pre-service pack Windows XP (their copy) at a clients house. As soon as I put I connected it to the internet it got slammed by some worm which automatically opened IE and started refreshing on a certain webpage over and over which I assume was designed to be a denial of service attack on the target website.

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 02-18-2007, 05:09 AM

lcs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to lcs

I see Browser Hijacks all the time as well. Some of them are pretty bad(like when it opens 20 or more pop up ads when you type in a search in Google and even in your main page you don't go when you wanted to.

I had one time my whole computer was Hijacked! I was running VNC so I could use my home computer from work. And anyway I was at home using my computer and it started doing it's own thing and installing software on it's own! I pulled my CAT5 that goes to my DSL as soon as I realized what was happening. I then changed the port of my VNC server and I also changed the user name and password. I have not had the problem since, but that was weird.