Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 AM

ClickRight is on a distinguished road
Default What to do - Customer from US isn't paying

I got a call on June 4th from a person in the USA (I'm in Canada) asking me to go out and check his dad's internet connection in my city. He was concerned as his dad hadn't been on Yahoo messenger and wanted me to find out if the problem was with the ISP or computer. He agreed to pay me through PayPal. I went on-site to his dad's house and determined the problem was on the ISP's end. I gave him all the information he needed to report to the ISP, and checked over his computer. I also updated his AVG anti-virus to the latest version as he was complaining about the warning it was giving him to upgrade.

When finished, I phoned the person in the US, let him know the situation, and sent him an invoice via email. A week went by and no payment was received, so I sent a reminder email. Another week went by, so I called him up to ask what the deal was. He said he was sorry and would pay right away in the morning, and to forward him another invoice, which I did. Still I have yet to receive payment. Do you have any experience with this? What should I do?
Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 AM

Jory is on a distinguished road

I'd try talking to the Dad and letting him know what happened. You could possibly shame the son into paying.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 AM

MHCG is on a distinguished road

I don't see how there's much you can do other than hope he pays. He's in the US and you're in Canada and I doubt the cost of the job is worth any kind of court resolution.

Send another invoice and/or call his dad.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:41 AM

abe is on the way

call and ask him if he recived the emails they may be going to spam
Old 06-23-2009, 02:46 AM

kremo5le is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Non-paying Client - What to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickRight View Post
I got a call on June 4th from a person in the USA (I'm in Canada) asking me to go out and check his dad's internet connection in my city. He was concerned as his dad hadn't been on Yahoo messenger and wanted me to find out if the problem was with the ISP or computer. He agreed to pay me through PayPal. I went on-site to his dad's house and determined the problem was on the ISP's end. I gave him all the information he needed to report to the ISP, and checked over his computer. I also updated his AVG anti-virus to the latest version as he was complaining about the warning it was giving him to upgrade.

When finished, I phoned the person in the US, let him know the situation, and sent him an invoice via email. A week went by and no payment was received, so I sent a reminder email. Another week went by, so I called him up to ask what the deal was. He said he was sorry and would pay right away in the morning, and to forward him another invoice, which I did. Still I have yet to receive payment. Do you have any experience with this? What should I do?
Hi there,

This is meant to happen I think in a situation like the one you describe. However, I believe that you should approach the client a bit slowly. Have you find out why isn't the payment in your hands yet? Has the client "disappeared"? Or can you call and they answer to you? I would not play games with anybody. Just approach the client as a reputable company you have, and send a paper bill too. If the amount is not too big, and you never get the payment back, this will serve you as a lesson (believe me, you will change after this). Clients should be treated well, but we as providers should be treated well too...

Good luck brother,

k.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:02 AM

eggy53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to eggy53

This haven't ever happened to me, but a good idea would be to ask for a X amount for deposit. If you work in hourly rate, maybe charge the first hour up front.

But anyway I which you luck, hopes this is only a "bad memory" customer, hahaha and not a bad paying customer.

Egmari Computer Services
Hatillo, P.R. 00659
Old 06-23-2009, 04:16 AM

bagellad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bagellad

Well I guess this is a good lesson of getting money up front from a 3rd party... I never really thought of it before.. I would call his dad and check to see if his internet is working and also if he was been able to get intouch with his son. Eventually you will be so annoying they will crack down!!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 AM

ClickRight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abe View Post
call and ask him if he recived the emails they may be going to spam
Yeah, I called again today, no answer, and no return call, sigh

I don't have his dad's phone number, but I'm sure I can reverse look it up, or just show up at his house. He was quite old so hopefully he'll remember me.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:37 AM

jbutler9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to jbutler9

Not sure how you do business there with your company, but I would have gotten the dad to sign an invoice and a work order before I touched his computer. That way when you do go to small claims court (and no matter if it was 1 dollar, I would still go to small claims court) you can show the signature offering the service and where the customer agreed that you completed the service. Case closed
Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 AM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Hound him. By phone. Email is too impersonal. Preferably call from different numbers all the time so that he doesn't block you. Call him every day until he pays. If, within a week or so, he doesn't pay go see his father in person with a printed invoice and ask him to forward it to his son.