Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM

vr6rafal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Soldering Iron for dc power jack repairs

i'm in need of a new soldering iron and curious what's everyone using, which one do you like?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM

blackburgpchelp is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got an Aoyue 968 (http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-968-Digi.../dp/B000HDG0AO) from this vendor on Amazon. I thought the price was really good, and I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the machine. The hot air reflow makes desoldering the jack and removal much simpler (though you have to be careful.) The iron has a very precise feel to it. It uses Hakko tips, so replacements are no issue.

So far I've been extremely happy with it. Better than the little Weller station I'd been using.

-Rance
Old 06-10-2009, 03:12 PM

vr6rafal is an unknown quantity at this point

This looks very nice machine. I have something similar, hot air-rework station, but I already broke 2 soldering irons, handles broke-off, and I have yet to try the hot air to remove dc jack.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:18 PM

NYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of lightNYJimbo is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburgpchelp View Post
I just got an Aoyue 968 (http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-968-Digi.../dp/B000HDG0AO) from this vendor on Amazon. I thought the price was really good, and I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the machine. The hot air reflow makes desoldering the jack and removal much simpler (though you have to be careful.) The iron has a very precise feel to it. It uses Hakko tips, so replacements are no issue.

So far I've been extremely happy with it. Better than the little Weller station I'd been using.

-Rance
Yeah, the Aoyue line of stuff is really good. I got the 2702a+ which also includes a desoldering gun, which makes very quick work of most through hole desoldering jobs. Like you, I have a weller station and its good but doesnt seem to handle ROHS solder or deep/wide through hole work very well.