Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Guides, Tips and Tricks

Technibble Sponsor

Old 06-08-2009, 08:24 PM

hondablaster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hondablaster
Default 32bit and 64bit serials interchangeable.

Okay so I have Vista 32bit and I want to buy upgrade to 4gb but It would feel like a waste so I used a 64 bit disk and installed using my 32 bit serial which was accepted. After everything is said and done. I did the telephone activation and bam. Now my Vista 32 is Vista 64. Now to buy my ram.

I looked this up on another forum which everyone said no you cant do that it wont accept the serial..... Hmmm. Only one guy said It works and could just do a telephone activation. He also said you will need to do a telephone activation to go back to down to 32 bit.

Vista Home Premium 64 SP2

Im so excited. !!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

There is a lot of arguing out there about 32 v 64 bit vista and memory, so I did my own test. With 4 gb RAM, 32 bit actually performs far better than 64. I was quite surprised at the results. 32 bit vista uses less ram while it's running leaving more for applications. I have 64 on my office desktop with 8 gb ram, and it screams. My laptop has 32 with 4 gb, and it moves just fine. Just to give you a heads up. If you're only running 4 gb, I would stick with 32 bit vista.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Jory is on a distinguished road

If I'm not mistaken the same Vista license covers 32 and 64 bit versions, and you're well within your right to use to whatever you like. OEM pre-install keys with matching activation files should automatically activate no matter what version you have.

I've also heard you can request the disk from big OEMs and they're required to give you one because of their OEM agreements with Microsoft.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_geek View Post
There is a lot of arguing out there about 32 v 64 bit vista and memory, so I did my own test. With 4 gb RAM, 32 bit actually performs far better than 64. I was quite surprised at the results. 32 bit vista uses less ram while it's running leaving more for applications. I have 64 on my office desktop with 8 gb ram, and it screams. My laptop has 32 with 4 gb, and it moves just fine. Just to give you a heads up. If you're only running 4 gb, I would stick with 32 bit vista.
Thanks AG

You are right Ive noticed a speed difference between a 64 bit OS and a 32. But I use a lot of RAM mainly because I like to have a lot of crap up and running. Im also using Virtual PC 2007 to do test and Im running out of RAM. I will need that extra 1 GB.

Thanks for looking out.
P.S.
I use a velociraptor HDD and it does act a ton slower booting up or shutting down. I think that perhaps the files are bigger in Vista 64? Im not sure. I wonder why its slower.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondablaster View Post
But I use a lot of RAM mainly because I like to have a lot of crap up and running. Im also using Virtual PC 2007 to do test and Im running out of RAM. I will need that extra 1 GB.

P.S.
I use a velociraptor HDD and it does act a ton slower booting up or shutting down. I think that perhaps the files are bigger in Vista 64? Im not sure. I wonder why its slower.
I run XP Pro in VPC on my laptop, and I can allocate as much ram as I need to it. Even though Vista 32 doesn't quite address all 4 gb, most current applications can still make use of it.

As for your HDD, I'm not sure why it would perform different between 32 and 64. 64 does have a bigger footprint, but I would imagine your boot time is because of the amount of ram in your system. You may want to run a check on your hdd.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

My only real concern here is the licensing issue I would want to make sure this is legal before doing this on my PC and even more certain on a client's PC.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 PM

I put Bryce's windows version identifier page to work.

It says its a 64 bit version now. This would coincide with the advice I read where once you do the phone support for the serial it will make it a 64 bit copy until you go 32 bit and call again. I assume the version identifier links up with a MS server somewhere.

Likewise before I put the new OS on i ran full diagnostics and wiped the HDD with zeros. It works fine. I think that the bigger footprint make my HDD hustle more. I also installed the SP1 and SP2 and just ran the defrag holy smokes it needed a defrag and I can feel the speed difference already.

Im also getting rid of the DDR 2 800 2x1 and getting DDR 3 2x2 to justify my tossing out of the old ddr 2, I want to use ALL the memory so I have a psychological motive, as well, I just cant waste that 1gb!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg technibble.jpg (63.5 KB, 106 views)

Last edited by hondablaster; 06-08-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:41 PM

Just throwing this out there, I'm sure you know this, but I wanted to warn anyone else who may be anonymously trolling. You need to make sure your board supports DDR3 before throwing it in there. Had a customer who stuck a bunch of DDR3 in his gaming rig and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't boot. Luckily he didn't smoke his machine.

@honda fyi, you may need to do a bios update to recognize and run the DDR3

Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Well I thought DDR 3 and DDR 2 are not compatible slots. LOL
they look the same and use the same memory board but the little "kink" will be at a different location then a DDR 2. Did he use a hammer or what!!!!! LOL That made me laugh.

My board can use both DDR 2 and DDR 3 if you own an modern LGA 775 and interested its the Asus P5QC! It has 4 DDR 2 slots and 2 DDR 3 slots. I love this board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...pk=asus%20p5qc

Oh and you cant use both at the same time.... For the trolls.

Last edited by hondablaster; 06-08-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 PM

lol So did my buddy. I'm still not sure how he forced those sticks in and didn't see fireworks. He did break 2 of the clips, though.

Glad you have a hybrid board. They're nice to have sometimes. Still a lot of the hybrids will only run DDR3 up to 800. Make sure you do a bios update, if you want to get the full benefit.

Last edited by angry_geek; 06-08-2009 at 09:52 PM.