Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Tech-to-Tech Computer Help

Technibble Sponsor

Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM

gkearns is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gateway BIOS problem

Hi All.
I am hoping someone with more experience than I can help me out. I am dealing with a Gateway MX3210 Notebook. I ordered the correct type of RAM (1 GB) and installed it with no problem. Here is the trouble, the system only recognizes 512MB . The BIOS is the most basic I have ever seen and is missing most of the usual settings. The BIOS does not see any more than the OS (Win XP Home SP3) but CPUZ sees all of the RAM. I have tried setting MAXMEM to 1024 with no change. It originally had no set value. I tried contacting Gateway with no usable results, just a link to paid tech. I tried looking for a BIOS update (current one is Phoenix Version 73.03 Date: 01/06/2006). Phoenix's website was no help, just offers a software application for $34 Canadian to check on updates. Likewise, the Gateway website has pages of BIOS updates but none for this machine. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:16 PM

heyjim is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.wimsbios.com/index.jsp

Would this help any?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM

gkearns is an unknown quantity at this point

The website will be great for anything other than a Phoenix BIOS. The utility they suggest is the same one from the Phoenix website. You have to pay to use it. I may have to resort to that but it bothers me that I have to pay to get a "free" update.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:41 PM

heyjim is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd first check to make sure you KNOW its the BIOS that isn't reading it properly before you buy anything. Im pretty sure that even though its last updated in 2006 that it would still recognize it. Theres a setting in boot.ini to allow for more RAM but I think thats for XP /3gigs
Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 PM

NYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really niceNYJimbo is just really nice

I am assuming the machine has two memory slots and you bought a 1 gig chip, is that right ?. I notice that some sites say this machine has a max of 1 gig of ram. With two slots I think that might be a max of 512 per slot. Otherwise why would it take a 1 gig stick in only one slot and not allow another gig in the other?.

A program might interrogate the sodimm and find its reporting back as a 1 gig stick but the system might only talk to the first 512mg because thats the limit it will handle.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:46 AM

Crgky127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have the DDR or DDR2 version of the MX3210? Do you have a link to the memory you ordered?
Old 05-29-2009, 02:47 PM

blackburgpchelp is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with NYJimbo here... older notebooks have some funny limits and specific configurations on RAM. Get the manual for the laptop and check it out. That would explain the issue. I ran into this with an older Sony VAIO.

-Rance
Old 05-29-2009, 06:18 PM

usacvlr is on the way

It's not uncommon at all in laptops for there to be limits on the max amount per slot.

You Break It. We Fix It!
http://www.usalaptoprepair.com
Old 06-01-2009, 04:54 AM

thor999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dumb question: I guess there are no bios updates available that would enable all the settings? If I encounter this in the future, would it be possible to inject a more adaptable bios?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:30 AM

hondablaster is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hondablaster

This will not help but its just an opinion on gateway.

They are (or used to be) a San Diego based company. Everyone in SD was all about gateway. I see their PCs everywhere, Their showrooms rooms were on Par with the Apple store and the men and women that worked their looked like Abercrombie and Fitch models. Just a bunch of clueless muscle heads and blonde bimbos. They developed a reputation for being awful at actually selling PCs it became a joke. Nobody goes looking for Brad Pitt to sell them a PC im looking for Erkel. They even had sawdust on the ground like if it was some soft of Steak house. WTF I would even see their Moo Cow boxes everywhere. (Moving boxes, Trash, etc)

Gateway!
Gateway!
Gateway!

Just one prob thier PCs are junk and when a friend or family member gives me a call 3 out of 5 times its an old gateway.

Gateway to hell.......