Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Software Applications

Technibble Sponsor

Old 12-06-2006, 07:32 AM

Kyuu is on a distinguished road
Default Sony Support Blows

While many have the attention of the PS3 - makes me wonder how many know about Sony's Support. I have my cousin with a Sony Vaio - and the hard drive failed. Physically, it was dead. I had him buy a new drive, and it is installed - working well with an XP Pro installation.

So, browsing the Sony sites and Googling, it seems the best option for recovering a Sony system is buying the Recovery Disk. Let's just say, my impression of Sony dropped several steps on its way to the toilet.

EDIT: Talked to my cousin, and not even the network card worked due to lack of drivers from Windows.

Moral of this story - don't ever buy Vaio. And I thought HP/Compaq was bad.

By the way, if PS3 ever drops below $150 - I may consider it.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

If it is within warranty they should send you the Recovery Disk unless you HAD one but lost it, then you pay.
Did the Laptop have a recovery partition on the harddrive? If that is the case then they should defintely give you the CD's. Call the support, kick up a fuss, tell them that you cant use the recovery partition because their drive is dead.

As for the drivers, asking the obvious... have you tried the sony site for the drivers? or are all the drivers for XP Home or something instead of Pro and you cant use them?

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com
Old 12-07-2006, 01:27 PM

Blues is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles10
If it is within warranty they should send you the Recovery Disk unless you HAD one but lost it, then you pay.
Did the Laptop have a recovery partition on the harddrive? If that is the case then they should defintely give you the CD's. Call the support, kick up a fuss, tell them that you cant use the recovery partition because their drive is dead.

As for the drivers, asking the obvious... have you tried the sony site for the drivers? or are all the drivers for XP Home or something instead of Pro and you cant use them?
The recorvy is a partition on the HDD and you have to do something in I think 90 days to request a free one otherwise you must purchase the recovery CD I own a Vaio but I know how to find all I need and do most the work I don't even worry about it.

side note: I expect very little out of any ones help infact I expect similar from the other manufacturers.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:39 AM

Kyuu is on a distinguished road

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...=VGCRB30&LOC=3

Assuming my cousin had the correct model number, he found exactly what he was looking for.

As far as calling Sony Tech Support - it was a nice game of the end-around. Not very supportive at all.

Last edited by Kyuu; 12-22-2006 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:24 PM

pavilion is on a distinguished road
Default Dell Service

It's not just Sony but I've had similar issue with Dell. Will never buy another Dell. I guess when you sell 400 000 units a month, what's a 10000 dissatisfied customers. First time I called, I was waiting for an hour and forty minutes and then told that I need to call another customer service number.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 AM

MrMille is on a distinguished road

I have a very old Sony Vaio PCG F801A and it's giving me some awful trouble.
It's only got 64MB of RAM onboard, but it's blue screening after I install ZoneAlarm.

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
It then gives addresse, base, and datestamp for the following
srescan.sys
ntoskrnl.exe

Whyyyyyy?
Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 AM

MrMille is on a distinguished road

Turns out rescan is trying to look at some serial port.
There is a kb article about this, but I just rebooted into safe mode
and uninstalled ZA. Then tried Agnitum, but just could not get an internet connection, except with the firewall turned off completely! How difficult could it be to use.
Then install Commodo firewall, very good.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 PM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
While many have the attention of the PS3 - makes me wonder how many know about Sony's Support. I have my cousin with a Sony Vaio - and the hard drive failed. Physically, it was dead. I had him buy a new drive, and it is installed - working well with an XP Pro installation.

So, browsing the Sony sites and Googling, it seems the best option for recovering a Sony system is buying the Recovery Disk. Let's just say, my impression of Sony dropped several steps on its way to the toilet.

EDIT: Talked to my cousin, and not even the network card worked due to lack of drivers from Windows.

Moral of this story - don't ever buy Vaio. And I thought HP/Compaq was bad.

By the way, if PS3 ever drops below $150 - I may consider it.
not only does there support blow so does there products. And any company that puts a root kit in its CD's is rotten to the core and should die a slow painful death........I will never buy sony again
Old 07-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
not only does there support blow so does there products.
I definitely agree that Sony's products arent what they once were. They were one of the most trusted brands for electronics at one point, but in the last 5 years or so they are really killing themselves. Their product reliability is getting worse (cheap outsourcing perhaps) and their PR has really suffered after the PS3.

I favorited a video on Youtube a few months ago that has a song about Sony killing their brand. Check it out for a giggle even if it is sadly true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w

For advertising rates, Technibble product support (questions, replacements etc..) please email: support [at] technibble.com