Go Back   Technibble Forums > Technical Discussions > Networking

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-27-2009, 08:13 PM

rockhoptec is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Repeater

Was wondering if anyone has played around with the linksys Wireless-G Range Expander (WRE54G). I have installed a few without any problems. I installed one in a house to expand to the in-laws house that is connected to the backside of the main house.

It works for about a week and then drops. I unplug it move it closer to the main house and works fine. Today they called and said it dropped again, so I moved it into the garage and picked up the signal fine and the internet works.

So my question is what would make it drop? if I am in the in-laws house with my XP laptop (before the expander) I was getting weak 2 bars and vista was getting nothing. After the expander 5 bars on both PC's. My first guess is there is some sort of interference, the router is on the opposite side of the house and the signal has to go through the kitchen, laundry room, garage and then to the in-laws. There is of course kitchen appliances, washer/dryer and a freezer (in garage).

So I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a better make that can maybe go on the outside of the house or recommend another solution. The houses are under 100' so this is not the issue so my thought is maybe something in the house is causing it to drop, but the weird thing is it seems to be like once a week. The other PC's - 1 wired and 1 wireless in the main house are working fine. So they tell me...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or solutions.
www.rockhoptec.com
Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM

blackburgpchelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Todd,

I've installed a few and have had spotty results. In some places they work flawlessly with no issues, other times I've found them almost impossible to keep connected. I haven't found any real rhyme or reason to it. If you do a google search on the device, you'll find lots of comments and fixes. Some may help you out. I know that using the auto-configuration works the best, if you can make it happen. I've also had the best success when using Linksys routers.

-Rance
Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

Same here. The Buffalo routers and extenders are great, though. I'm so glad they're back.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM

rockhoptec is on a distinguished road

thanks for the responses, this one is just spotty, others never lose their connection. Setup was not a problem, found the wireless network and worked, just seems like once a week it drops then unplug, wait a few seconds, plug in (closer to the router each time) then works fine. Really strange, Yes I have a linksys router and this is why I used this extender thinking they work nicely together.

Angry_geek have you had any experience with the buffalo extenders with a linksys router?

thanks again for everyone's feedback
www.rockhoptec.com
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhoptec View Post
Angry_geek have you had any experience with the buffalo extenders with a linksys router?
No, haven't tried that, and I doubt it would work. The Buffalos use two routers with one set in extender (something like that) mode. Have that set up in my folks house; the range and stability are fantastic.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:22 AM

Location: Springfield Missouri USA and anywhere by remote control
PatrickB is on a distinguished road

Hi Todd,

I used one at a large church to get Wi-Fi from the office on one end to the sanctuary on the other. It has worked quite well for the past few years. I will say that the Windows Event Logs have on rare occasions shown a duplicate IP on the network, when there really was no duplicate IP. I'm sure it was the repeater that caused allowed this situation.

The issue I ran into was the wireless mics that were sitting next to the computer in the sanctuary were interfering with the radio signal at that end until they were move a couple of feet away.

The point is that 2.4 GHz is susceptible to interference by several other devices. Bluetooth, older cordless phones, and microwave ovens all generate radio waves in the same band. Other devices, such as cellphones, transmitting in other bands can also interfere.

Depending upon the exact situation, you may find that building or buying a directional antenna for each end and pointing them towards each other can establish a solid connection without the repeater. There are many web pages with instructions on building these antennas from little more than a can, a short piece of cable and two connectors.

-- Patrick B.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 PM

usacvlr is on the way

the little white netgear routers with the fixed non removeable antenna also have the repeat function and netgear stuff pretty much just works.

You Break It. We Fix It!
http://www.usalaptoprepair.com
Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM

joe3k is an unknown quantity at this point

Never used them, but I'd suggest you upgrade the f/w before proceeding. May well solve the problem.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:55 AM

frostbyte5014 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to frostbyte5014 Send a message via Yahoo to frostbyte5014

You don't want an extender. You want to setup a wireless bridge. Here is what I use in WDS mode. These things just work awesome. I have them setup everywhere and have never had an issue. I'll be glad to help if you need me. They cost a bit more than a residential type AP but you will never have to ever touch them once you get them setup. The average Linksys will max out at 251mw and will run like crap. The Engenius is 600mw out the box and runs and runs and runs......

Here's a good place to get them. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...763&CatId=1594