Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Arcadio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the worst physical injury you've suffered on the job? (if any)

I've cut myself twice from sharp case edges. I also got a minor burn from a soldering iron back when I was a reckless newbie.

What about you?
Old 04-21-2009, 01:49 PM

arrow_runner is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to arrow_runner Send a message via MSN to arrow_runner Send a message via Yahoo to arrow_runner

I once cut myself on my own case pretty badly. I was so focused that I didn't even notice for a little while, but when I did, there was so much blood on the computer / in my room, you'd swear I had cut a vain.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:56 PM

Majestic is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately I sliced my hand a bit and I needed stitches but thought nothing of it.. now I got a scar because of it.

Polysporin is your friend on the job if you don't want to cut yourself up permanently!!!

Majestic
Old 04-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Jory is on a distinguished road

I've cut myself a few times on various things.

One time I had a PSU literally blow up and shoot out sparks/fire, but luckily I wasn't hurt. It was pretty amazing I wasn't though since my hand was positioned across the fan opening. It's too bad I don't have it on video because I possibly set the world record for reaction time on that one.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Bryce W will become famous soon enough

I think we have all had cuts on sharp computer cases. I have had two PSU explosions like Jory said. I think the worst thing Ive had was an electric shock (or a super nasty static shock) which strangely enough, came from a printer USB cable. I know it sounds like a lie since USB is only 5volts, and I have no idea how it happened, but I got one serious shock from it. The tip of my finger really hurt, my whole arm was numb for an hour and I felt the shock all the way into my chest.

The client was doing house renovations at the time, perhaps that had something to do with it. I really dont know what happened.
Owner and Founder of Technibble - If you have a problem with any user, they are flaming/being elitist/making snide comments etc.. Press the report button which is on the top right of every post. This will highlight the post in an admin area for staff to see and deal with.

For adminly tasks such as username changes, moving threads etc.. please contact Martyn

Check out Technibbles twitter: http://www.twitter.com/technibble
Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Pc Fixed Right is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Pc Fixed Right

I foolishly touched a copper coil inside of a power supply I had opened up, it was still plugged in...yes it hurt alot and no I will never do that again. Much like everyone else the cuts never stop.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:52 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

I got attacked by a mama raccoon running cable under someones house. Luckily I got out quick enough that I didn't need stitches. However, stitches would have been much more preferable to the rabies treatment I had to endure.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 PM

usacvlr is on the way

Sounds like he reversed the neutral and hot. The Computer would still turn on but the chassis would be hot like the old 5 tube type kitchen radios. They had no power transformer so one side of the line cord was soldered to the metal chassis. Depending on which way you plugged the unit in(before polarized plugs) you could get nailed turning up your volume while grabbing the faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce W View Post
I think we have all had cuts on sharp computer cases. I have had two PSU explosions like Jory said. I think the worst thing Ive had was an electric shock (or a super nasty static shock) which strangely enough, came from a printer USB cable. I know it sounds like a lie since USB is only 5volts, and I have no idea how it happened, but I got one serious shock from it. The tip of my finger really hurt, my whole arm was numb for an hour and I felt the shock all the way into my chest.

The client was doing house renovations at the time, perhaps that had something to do with it. I really dont know what happened.

You Break It. We Fix It!
http://www.usalaptoprepair.com
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Portis is an unknown quantity at this point

Cut myself on cases almost weekly, had a cap explode and burn my face my second day on the job when I plugged an XT powersupply in one pin over. One day I was taking a computer out to my car in an oil change place, slipped on the wet/oily floor and sprained my ankle. I have a "V" burned into my forearm where I put my arm down on my soldering iron holder while replacing a DC jack.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:00 PM

nudone is an unknown quantity at this point

yep, another deep cut. the really annoying thing is that i always seem to be thinking "i bet i cut myself in a moment" just before it happens. not done it for a long time now though - touch wood, i mean, metal.