Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-15-2009, 12:07 PM

DanF is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Name!

Hi all

First of all I'm taking this opportunity to thank all those who helped me over the time since I've joined this wonderful community.

For those who don't know, I've started business when I've retired from work. Considering my clients are only the result of word of mouth advertising and one advert in a local mag almost 12 months ago, I'm happy with the amount. Since I lack the basic legal stuff I can't advertise as much as I can and I'm limited so much so I can't advance. Now that I've decided to settle this stuff I need to choose a name for the business as I don't agree with using my personal name anymore.

The problem is that I don't speak English everyday, and I'm pretty sure English speakers no much more vocabulary words then me. For sure, I'm planning to include the words 'computer services' (or computers service?) so that when people read the name they get the idea of everything. I would also like to include some type of slogan and I'm emphasizing on a personal level service, which I know local stores lack of. As regards to the name itself, I've though of 'Ample'; which I guess means enough or more than enough or something like that. Not sure if it makes sense, would be great if you define the word for me.

Thanks guys
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM

TimeCode is on a distinguished road

I'm not trying to be rude. Please understand that my reply is to help you in your quest. http://www.merriam-webster.com/ will give you much more accurate definitions as even though people may use the words every day, they may not be able to define them properly.

Definition of "ample" - From www.merriam-webster.com
Pronunciation:
\ˈam-pəl\
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
amĚpler Listen to the pronunciation of ampler \-p(ə-)lər\ ; amĚplest Listen to the pronunciation of amplest \-p(ə-)ləst\
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin amplus
Date:
15th century

1 : generous or more than adequate in size, scope, or capacity <there was room for an ample garden>
2 : generously sufficient to satisfy a requirement or need <they had ample money for the trip>
3 : buxom, portly <an ample figure>
Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM

rusty.nells is an unknown quantity at this point

My interpretation of the common usage of ample is "no more, no less or adequate". Perhaps that's just me.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Why do you think that was rude TimeCode? Sometimes it's not that easy to understand everything when you don't talk English.

Thanks for your replies, think I got the definition. I think it would be good for a name, or not? What are your suggestions as to the slogan. As I already mentioned, I'm trying to create a brand... a business which caters home users and small business, thus I need to emphasize a Best and Personalized service as much as possible.

On our island computer repairs may be good, but not always fast, not always good and most of the time they don't (or simply can't take the time to explain home users the difference between certain hardware or a problem). So basically, that's what I'm trying to cover. I've also just send a small questionnaire about the expectations of a computer user when it comes to computer techs and servicing. So I should have a clear picture in a week.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM

Rider is on the way

I don't like the word "ample" for a computer name for a couple of reasons. First, it basically means adequate or enough but it can come across as average. I don't think you want to be thought of as an average tech. I prefer something like "complete." Complete Computer Services as apposed to Ample Computer Services. Keep in mind, that is very generic and most likely already in use.

The second reason I don't like "ample" is that it can easily be misread as "apple" and you will find yourself getting calls to fix Apple computers. That's not bad if you do fix Apples but my point is that it can easily be misread.

It's very hard to come up with a clever, catchy business name. Good luck with that. I think you are on the right track including "computer services" or something like that, your name should be descriptive. Again, some generic examples: Local Computer Services, Expert Computer Services, Friendly Computer Services, Bilingual Computer Services. These are all weak names but I think this might be the direction you want to go in (not weak but descriptive). Just try to avoid as coming across as average or typical. The fact that English isn't your native language can be a selling point as well, stress the fact that you are bilingual. Not necessarily in your name but maybe in your slogan or in your advertising. There are many people like you who aren't the most comfortable with english and would prefer to go to someone they can relate to.

Good luck in the business.

Rider
Old 04-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Thanks Rider. In the meantime I'm still searching and thinking of names. Now this is really difficult

Thanks for the wishes
Old 04-15-2009, 03:51 PM

jj2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to jj2000

I must agree with the others ample could come across wrongly, How about Imharreg computer services or Zenit computer services or just use Ħad-Dingli in the name to suggest your locality.I would also try to use the fact that you are bi lingual as a major selling point.
Wanting and needing impossible heaven.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:23 PM

nah...

What about ClickRight, TechMate...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2000 View Post
I must agree with the others ample could come across wrongly, How about Imharreg computer services or Zenit computer services or just use Ħad-Dingli in the name to suggest your locality.I would also try to use the fact that you are bi lingual as a major selling point.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:27 PM

ClickRight is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF View Post
nah...

What about ClickRight, TechMate...?
Don't even think about it
Old 04-15-2009, 06:49 PM

LOL!!

... but you're in Canada! I'm too far

Seriously... I don't think there should be a problem unless a name is registered or something? I don't have any idea about the how many 'PC Doctors' I've encountered!

On a side note, personally I prefer the 'TechMate' name rather than the 'ClickRight'.