Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > Guides, Tips and Tricks

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-12-2009, 05:04 PM

Kurtismonger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tech Kit in a backpack

I wondering what others use to carry their kit around with them. I have a Patagonia shoulder bag that I take everywhere and use as my mobile office. This has basic office supplies plus a laptop, patch cords, thumb drives, multi-tool, notebooks and the like.

I also have additional tools that I only use at certain jobs that I would like to setup in a backpack so it doesn't look so conspicuous. This would contain an Oreck canister vac w/ hose and attachments, a couple cans of compressed air, misc twist ties, rj-45 jacks, crimpers, punch down tools, Cable tester, multimeter, wire snake, labeler, screwdrivers, etc. With the vac it needs to be bigger than your average school-size backpack, but smaller than a full internal frame hiking pack and ideally with some variety of smaller external pockets to organize hand tools and supplies. Does anyone have a brand or model they can recommend?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:52 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

I actually use a police swat team bag. A lot of compartments, and not too big to carry around. Most of them are also water resistant and very sturdy. You can buy one online or at a police/fire/emt supply store for about $100.00
Old 04-13-2009, 01:53 AM

ks48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was wondering the same thing. Curious to see what people use....
Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Jory is on a distinguished road

http://www.ebags.com/eagle_creek/vag...modelid=120753

That carries my EEE 1000 + ac adapter, receipt book, CDs in paper sleeves, thumb drive case, screwdrivers, 2.5" External HDD, flashlight, laptop mouse, retractable network cable, pens, and work related keys. The thumb drive case has USB to RJ45, USB audio card, USB to Bluetooth, pocket knife, and a thumb drive. I still need a few things to put in it, but overall it's a 5lb package that handles the majority of jobs.

I have another bag that's fairly large, and can fit my laptop bag in it if I need to carry parts.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 PM

dhrandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dhrandy Send a message via Yahoo to dhrandy

I have a Swiss Army tool bag and carry my laptop bag. I carry my external hard drive, USB to SATA/IDE and tool kit in my laptop bag.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 AM

ICEinLAVA is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_geek View Post
I actually use a police swat team bag. A lot of compartments, and not too big to carry around. Most of them are also water resistant and very sturdy. You can buy one online or at a police/fire/emt supply store for about $100.00
Like Angry Geek, i use a compartment orientated bag, but mine is a red emergency medical services bag. The bag cost me about $75 and they also have colors in orange, navy, and black. People ask about the bag sometimes, and i just tell them it is to bring their computer back up to health.

I might be able to get a med bag designed to hold an oxygen bottle for the canister vacuum you have.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:59 PM

CharleslRay is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a small hiking bag as it has endless pockets and great organization in it, but carry a leather shoulder bag on site to do quotes and evals. Just carry my laptop and flash drive in that one.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM

DanF is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a huge gymnasium bag. However I tend to keep it in the car, or at home. If I'm going on site, I just put this huge bag in the boot and take out anything I'd need depending on the problem I would be dealing with. Always worked for me. If I happen to need something I just ask politely to go back to the car to bring something I need.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:27 PM

tartis is an unknown quantity at this point

I carry a Targus laptop bag and a plastic holder for my Work-Orders into the customers place. I also have a nylon tool bag from Lowes that I keep in my car with all of my tools and CD's. Two big plastic tubs in my trunk hold all of my repair parts.
Web Design, Web Hosting, Email Solutions in Battle Creek, Michigan
Old 04-17-2009, 04:33 PM

angry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the roughangry_geek is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to angry_geek

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...BG239&cat=2652