Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 AM

Michael_Fridman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Biggest Frustrations W/ Running Computer Services Businesses

Hey folks,

Like all businesses, I have my good days and bad ones. Mostly good tho

In fact, my business has allowed me to travel abroad and help out the Anglo communities in cities overseas (they prefer to work with someone from the US rather than local based service businesses).

Anyhoo, one of the bigger frustrations I have is dealing with clients who never pay for their services. Typically, I just never deal with them again and don't give it a second thought as to keep the blood pressure down, but when it's a rather large sum of mula, it's a pain in the ass to go after them.

My question is this, what's your biggest concern or frustration when it comes to running your own computer service company?

Cheers!

M
http://computerservicescartel.com
Old 04-12-2009, 03:32 PM

gunslinger has a spectacular aura aboutgunslinger has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to gunslinger

I would say clients who try to get out of paying, or clients who compare me to their sons friend who is a "computer person" and will fix it for free.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:46 PM

stevenamills is on a distinguished road

Easily - repairs that take WAY longer than they "should".

Fox Valley Computer Services
I know your probably smarter than anybody here, but please respond to the OP rather than answering the unasked question.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM

jj2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to jj2000

Quote:
I would say clients who try to get out of paying, or clients who compare me to their sons friend who is a "computer person" and will fix it for free.
i agree 100% and would like to add relations who think its a freebie just because they are relations no matter how distant and another annoyance is people telephoning us constantly trying to sell us adspace in some publication that no one has heard of,rip off artists.
Wanting and needing impossible heaven.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM

jj2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to jj2000

@ACG we get calls like this every day and every day its the same "We can schedule a visit today " click... hang up,never to be heard from again.
We have also been inundated of late with calls asking to fix 10 or more machines and they will supply the software and hardware but when we asked for more info once again click... hang up,these people are a complete pain in the Ass.
Wanting and needing impossible heaven.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvancedComputerGroupInc View Post
Hello Michael,

I've found that like you collecting payments (especially in these desperate times) from new clients, can be a big pain. Fortunately we have a plan in place if such a situation arises.

The other major pain I find is reasonably priced, effective advertising. Finding good business clients can be costly sometimes. We really do not do residential accounts, except for the ones I have been doing for years, and their referrals. It's really too easy to get burned or hassled by residential clients, so we have shunned away from taking any new ones outside of our loyal customer referrals.

This is a good topic, I am glad you brought it up. Welcome to the forums, and enjoy your stay!

P.S. I see you are from NY, as am I. What part are you from?
Upper East Side, NYC. Born and raised.

Starting with residential clients is a fantastic way to get into the business when starting small. It allowed me to delve into my own business rather than waiting to get all the legalities of owning a full fledged business.

The great thing about it was as word got around, people started calling me for larger contract work from small to mid sized businesses. Once this happened, I was able to afford the time and money to get into the big picture.

Success likes speed.

M
Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM

All the above replies are great, I'm not going to try to answer everything, but I will say this: with time, you can start to tell who you SHOULD and SHOULDN'T be doing business with.

After just a few months of starting my own business, I could tell a lot from just speaking to a potential client on the phone. If I get a bad vibe by speaking to them, I politely decline their business.

The beautiful thing was that I had built a list of clients that I enjoyed (keywords "I ENJOYED") doing business with:

a) because I knew they were repeat customers who are honest and loyal.
b) they enjoyed working with me because I gave them 110% effort to always help them out and go the extra mile for them.

Filtering out the losers and focusing on the winning clients is the best way to go. It's kept me sane and my clients really really happy. Sure, once in a while you'll slip up, but it's all about learning and moving on.

Here's to all your success!

M
Old 04-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Bullfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Bullfighter

I really hate it when people pose as technicians to get peoples attention just to sell them on a scam book, website or SEMINAR that promises to "teach you the real way to do business" or some such nonsense... especially when they say:
"How to instantly become a computer “expert” and have everyone fighting for your services…". Ya gotta love the word "instantly".

Just saying is all.... I would REALLY hope someone would not do this here.

The real way to be successful, is hard work, research and especially customer service. I think a great example are the majority of people that post on this site.

What is your opinion, Michael?

EP

Eddie

REP4 Technologies Inc.
"Smart Business IT Solutions"

Last edited by Bullfighter; 04-12-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: clairfication
Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 PM

CharleslRay is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
My response usually opens with a wide smile, a square look in their eye and a casual question of "When was the last time they serviced you and were you happy with the results?"

99.9% of the time this disarms them and they stumble over their words, trying to find a reason to contend my genuine question. I then make a point of politely reminding them that I'm not in high school, have my certs and have been at this for years on end..as I hand them the completed work order to sign ;]
Old 04-13-2009, 02:48 AM

Bullfighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Bullfighter

Michael, still there?

When you come back, can you let me know how I can:

Quote:
grow into a 6 figure a year business with absolutely NO EXTRA WORK (and implement this tactic in mere minutes)…
Or

Quote:
instantly become a computer “expert” and have everyone fighting for my services…
Or

Quote:
How to qualify my clients in order to work less and make more money

For those of you interested in Michael's ....concepts you can check out his website here:

http:// computerservicescartel dot com/blog/the-best-darn-computer-services-you-ever-heard-of/#more-3

EP

Eddie

REP4 Technologies Inc.
"Smart Business IT Solutions"

Last edited by Bullfighter; 04-13-2009 at 02:54 AM.