Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM

joe3k is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any decent free website hosting?

Anyone know where I can get some free website hosting? I had a website before but I found I got few calls from having it... it lapsed and I let it go. However I'd like to give it another try but ideally would like to find somewhere to host it for free if possible.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Methical will become famous soon enough

www.zymic.com
Old 04-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Cheers Methical. Sounds good. I don't need much space and I can't see bandwidth being an issue. Your site appears to have no ads, so I guess I should really be asking... is there a catch? Off to read into it more... almost looks too good to be true :-)
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Nah don't really have a problem with Zymic. Works fine for me! I just use it for my DVD catalogue
Old 04-06-2009, 08:35 PM

frostbyte5014 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to frostbyte5014 Send a message via Yahoo to frostbyte5014

Just beware that hosting with a free host you may not be able to transfer later and may have ownership issues.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:04 PM

Hmmm. My last hosting crowd went out of business on me. Wonder if I'll have trouble transferring, hope not but who knows what way it will be. Got signed up with Zymic, but cannot create free web host. I think they're experiencing trouble with their 3rd party company. Ho hum. Can't complain too much if it's free, lol.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3k View Post
Hmmm. My last hosting crowd went out of business on me. Wonder if I'll have trouble transferring, hope not but who knows what way it will be. Got signed up with Zymic, but cannot create free web host. I think they're experiencing trouble with their 3rd party company. Ho hum. Can't complain too much if it's free, lol.
Actuallly, on reconsideration joe3k, I wouldn't go with Zymic lol.
I just logged into Zymic, and my website is no longer there! And the URL no longer works
Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 PM

Jory is on a distinguished road

Don't use free hosting for your business. At the bare minimum you should buy a $10 domain, and use one of the junk hosts that are like $30/year. Ideally though you should be paying for reliable service. You don't want a slow or down website representing you poorly to your customers.

I'm with a relatively expensive host, and I don't even have a website for customers. I host a private wiki, backups, and portable software for when I'm working via VNC. Having reliable web space is just another tool in the box. It shouldn't be too hard to justify the cost.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Ok, well I already have bought a website domain name. I used to get my site hosted free by a guy I met online and helped out one time. However he went out of business a few weeks ago. I only got a very small number of calls through the website so I didn't worry too much about it. I thought now though if I could get the hosting free or cheap I may as well have the site up.

Thanks for the suggestion but that www.webs.com unfortunately doesn't look like a viable solution, as it appears the site address would have to end .webs.com That would be unprofessional. There's a difference between doing things on the cheap and being unprofessional.

zymic.com looked really promising but they're having technicalities at the mo. It looks doubtful if a decent free hosting provider exists, so maybe I should rephrase my question:

Anyone know of a decent "cheap" hosting company, ideally UK or Ireland based. If I find the website actually does prove useful, I can change in the future to a good hosting crowd. For now I more or less, just want a site on the side.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:23 PM

These guys look ok, anyone have any experience with them:
http://www.3ix.co.uk/uk_web_hosting....FQquGgodXG8qWg