Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-30-2009, 04:44 PM

TheCyberSamurai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Name Legal Question

Hello All,

I've been running an IT company for the past 2 years. Due to state laws I had to change my business name because we were advertising as a data forensic company. The state passed a law where we had to be a licensed PI firm to be called a data forensics business. So we decided to change the name. It took us a long time to create the new name and establish a brand. We settled on "The Cyber Samurais". Even though the plural of Samurai is just Samurai, we tagged an s on the end. Now there is a software development company called Cyber Samurai. Does anyone out there know of any kind of name legalities out there that would cause a conflict of interest by us being named "The Cyber Samurais"? We do computer repair and they do software development. Any light on the subject would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:38 PM

rtrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Business Name

I used a company who specialized in forming LLC, Corporations, etc.to complete all of the paperwork to form my LLC. I went through 3 names before I could use one that complied with Gerogia law. It may be different from state to state but you can find the information on your Secretary of State web page..in Georgia anyway you cannot have a dupliate name of anyone in the state, nor can you have a paritial, for example if there is a company called The PC Doctor, you can't have PC Doctor, The PC Doctor's, PC Doc Repair, etc...the best source for you would be the Secreraty of State webpage or the Small Business (even if its large corporation) because there is a tool on those sites that allow you to type in your business name, then it will pull up any names matching it and if it is an active business or dead..I have seen more than one business try and do all the paperwork themselves to save money only to get sued and have to change their name later because they did not do it properly..hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 PM

TheCyberSamurai is an unknown quantity at this point
Default great

Awesome thank you for your information. I contacted my local SOS office and they said there would be no problem or conflict of interest with the name. Good thing because I already purchased to domain name and registered my assumed business name. Again thanks for the help.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM

frostbyte5014 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to frostbyte5014 Send a message via Yahoo to frostbyte5014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberSamurai View Post
Hello All,

I've been running an IT company for the past 2 years. Due to state laws I had to change my business name because we were advertising as a data forensic company. The state passed a law where we had to be a licensed PI firm to be called a data forensics business. So we decided to change the name. It took us a long time to create the new name and establish a brand. We settled on "The Cyber Samurais". Even though the plural of Samurai is just Samurai, we tagged an s on the end. Now there is a software development company called Cyber Samurai. Does anyone out there know of any kind of name legalities out there that would cause a conflict of interest by us being named "The Cyber Samurais"? We do computer repair and they do software development. Any light on the subject would be greatly appriciated. Thank you.
You don't have to go through a middle man. Just go to the web site for your Secretary of State and download the form for registering your business name. It may be referred to as Articles of Organization. You may have to call them to find it. In South Carolina it cost about $110 to register and takes about a month to get confirmation.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:19 PM

tartis is an unknown quantity at this point

Be very careful using a name similar to another. They can still sue you no matter what the state says. You may be infringing on their trademark, especially if you market in the same area of the state, or they decide to market in your area.
Web Design, Web Hosting, Email Solutions in Battle Creek, Michigan