Go Back   Technibble Forums > The Computer Repair Business > Business and Legal Issues

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 PM

mygeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prices on website?

Do most of you put your prices on your website? Is there any down side to doing this?

I feel I have reasonable rates for my area, but as I am just starting out, I feel like I may have to adjust my prices from time to time.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-24-2009, 11:58 PM

14049752 has a spectacular aura about14049752 has a spectacular aura about

I don't.

The way I see it, I'd rather tell my customer the price of something, instead of having them read my site and decide what it would cost based on what they think the problem is.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14049752 View Post
I don't.

The way I see it, I'd rather tell my customer the price of something, instead of having them read my site and decide what it would cost based on what they think the problem is.
That's a great way to explain it! Sometimes it's hard to explain why we do things. Your reason above is why I tend not to advertise prices but I've often found it hard to explain. Thanks...
Old 03-25-2009, 12:18 AM

mmanna is an unknown quantity at this point

On the other hand, if you already have plenty of work to keep you busy, like we do, do you really want to spend time explaining your rates 15 or 20 times a day? Our rates are advertised on our website and on our automated phone system, and if someone thinks we charge too much, I'd rather not have to waste a minute of my time for them to get to that conclusion. These people not only think you charge too much, but they also want to argue and negotiate the rates, and want to know how long it's going to take to fix it before you have even diagnosed the problem. I don't worry so much about the price shoppers ... I let our reputation speak for itself which gets us plenty of work in referrals.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:48 AM

Y.F.N.C.G. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmanna View Post
These people not only think you charge too much, but they also want to argue and negotiate the rates, and want to know how long it's going to take to fix it before you have even diagnosed the problem.
I agree. I think the less ambiguity, the better. That way, your customer knows they're getting the same price as the next guy and you're not trying to hood-wink them. Especially if you charge by the hour, posting your rates will project a sense of professionalism and consistency to your potential customers, and they can make a decision right away if they can afford your level of service.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:51 AM

dhrandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dhrandy Send a message via Yahoo to dhrandy

I have the basics prices on my site. Of course my prices page can't cover everything. I've learned that most of the time the customer will call you without even looking on the prices page. I think exposure is more important than worrying about your price page.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:46 AM

seedubya has a spectacular aura aboutseedubya has a spectacular aura about

I find that advertising pricing reduces the number of calls we get. That's probably because our prices are higher than many others locally (certainly not the highest but not lowest either)
Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 AM

mmanna is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm definitely not suggesting that advertising my rates results in an increase in calls. I'm sure that it has the opposite effect. However, we are lucky enough to have plenty of work, mostly because of our good reputation (lots of word-of-mouth business).

So, it really depends on your situation ... I prefer to spend a lesser amount of time on the phone explaining/arguing pricing, and focus on fixing computers. It's sort of a quality over quantity thing. I don't have to waste my time with as many of the "cheap" discount/bargain-hunter customers that want everything for nothing, because hopefully they'll see our rates and move on.

As someone else already said ... of course there's the issue that many people don't bother to read the rates even if they are posted, but if having the rates posted prevents just one 5 minute "bargain hunter" phone call per day, it's worth it (to me) in the long run.