Go Back   Technibble Forums > General Computers > General Computer Chit-Chat

Technibble Sponsor

Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM

Felix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Faster back-up methods?

I plan on buying one of those USB to SATA/IDE adapters
and buying a hard drive to plug into it for data backups and transfers.
I'm assuming that my best option would be to purchase a fast 7200RPM
hard drive with a good amount of cache and a low seek time.

But I was wondering if anyone else had a quicker or tried and true method?
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM

dhrandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to dhrandy Send a message via Yahoo to dhrandy

I imagine the quickest method would be to put the drive in a desktop PC. But that' not always feasible when your doing on-site support.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:30 PM

mmanna is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just talking to my biz partner about this yesterday. We spend a lot of time waiting for data backups and would like to find a way to reduce that.

After talking it over, we decided that the best route will likely be an eSata external hard drive, and an eSata IDE/SATA adapter for connecting the source drive to. We both agreed that our current USB solution is going to have to hold us over a little longer, because our current computers (4 years old) don't have eSata ports, and any time saved by hooking up drives internally is probably lost due to the fact that you have to shut the computer down twice (once to connect, once to disconnect).

We use Acronis to make FULL backup images of customer's PC's before doing any reformats, or at the first sign of a potentially failing hard drive. Also, if a customer brings in an old P.O.S. running WinME or Win98, we make an image before even touching it because 98/ME can be so unstable and difficult to troubleshoot given the lack of Event Logs.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has any other suggestions for speedy data backup/recovery.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:38 PM

ZPR is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would you need to shut the computer down to install there drive into your computer? if there drive was sata, than it should be hot-swappable, but ide, yea, I'ld understand. But I do agree the eSata enclosure would be better, cause you could just have it on your desk, and you could just come in and slide it right in, but the IDE to SATA adapter, you need to take that into consideration when buying the eSATA enclosure, cause if not, it may not fit properly.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM

Resler is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wait for USB 3.0 Its supposed to be faster than eSATA, and since its completely backwards compatible you can talk customers into adding a USB 3.0 card so they can take advantage of 3.0 devices.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 PM

Menaice is an unknown quantity at this point

this doesn't apply to doing on-site service call backups. In shop we got a NSS6000 unit its got dual nic cards and i shoot all my backups to it via the network, by booting with an UBCD4WIN thats got the acronis true image plugin.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 PM

mmanna is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackboarman View Post
Why would you need to shut the computer down to install there drive into your computer? if there drive was sata, than it should be hot-swappable, but ide, yea, I'ld understand. But I do agree the eSata enclosure would be better, cause you could just have it on your desk, and you could just come in and slide it right in, but the IDE to SATA adapter, you need to take that into consideration when buying the eSATA enclosure, cause if not, it may not fit properly.
Well, we obviously get a variety of hard drives coming through the office (Desktop IDE, Notebook IDE, Desktop SATA, Laptop SATA) and I want one solution that can do all of them the same way.